Farmall M

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Farmall M

Post by ksanders »

I just had a flat tire and rusted through 14.9x38 rim on my M I had to take apart myself and it was NOT fun. It did get me interested in a few things though. I've always wanted to restore the tractor and might just start after Fall plowing and discing is done this year, but might fix a few things first. Question of curiosity is...
It's always had to turn over really fast to start and forget about starting it in the winter. Would the manifold cause this? After 5 years it just dawned on me that a cracked manifold on an updraft carb could draw in air and not want to draw in gas to start unless turning real fast. Note: When you pull start it, it usually pops right off and goes instantly. Am I crazy on that theory? Just curious what others thought :)
Attachments
DSC00929.JPG
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

jglass
First and Last Name: John K. Glass

Re: Farmall M

Post by jglass »

No your'e not crazy, I think M&W made a reduction starter drive that helped, I converted mine to 12V and it really turned over. I'm told it won't hurt the starter, as long as you don't hold it down any longer than 30 seconds. I know I had no more trouble starting mine. I also done the same with a farmall H. Just my experience. John glass

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

John, That would make perfect since with the symptoms this has always had. Won't start in winter, turns over really fast, converted to 12V, etc. I'll look into that, even though this starter was just rebuilt. Thanks
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Scott Dickerson
First and Last Name: Scott Dickerson

Post by Scott Dickerson »

I too have had trouble lately starting my Farmall "H" It ised to start right off but lately its been getting worse and worse. I checked to see how much voltage I was getting from the generator to the battery and it said I was only getting 5.3 volts. The voltage regulator looks pretty crummy, It may even be the original im thinking. Forgot to mention it is a 6 volt system. Any hints on what to check next???

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Scott, turning over slow, just not firing off, or what? How old is the battery? I just bought a brand new battery for my M and it's fired right off everytime before it even gets to turn over fast. I still want to see about reducing the starter drive for more torque, but this is working 110% better right now. I only mention battery because the one I took out is working perfect in a truck despite being weak in the tractor.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Keep in mind that the 6 volt systems have to have a larger battery cable (2 gage wire) than what is used on 12 v systems, so if the cables have been changed over the years they may have been replaced with the smaller 12V cables, and it will make it crank slower. And just like the Cub Cadets, rust and corrosion on grounds and connections will also cause problems. Also don't forget IH, and some others, used a positive ground on the 6 V systems rather than the negative ground used on 12 V systems.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Scott Dickerson

Kevin it will turn over slow to the point that it doesnt turn over at all. The battery is only a year old. I tested the battery with a tester and it said it was good. Im going to pull the generator next and see how the brushes look.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Scott, If the battery is good, I don't know if it could be the generator. Just see if it's charging with the battery tester while running. My guess would be starter or battery, but I also had trouble figuring mine out, so I can easily be wrong.
Also, depending on where you got that battery, we've had multiple tractor store 6V batteries last a year or less. We're switching to DEKA 6Volts in everything now since 6 of the tractors here are 6V and they last 5+ years longer than tractor store batteries (for us at least).

Scott Dickerson

Well looks like it is the generator, took it to my buddies place and checked out the inside. The brushes are shot and its full of gunk.Im hoping to get this back together soon. We are going to make it like new again. Thanks for all the tips.

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

I had some issues with starting on the super M.....I slowly went thru every connection on it and cleaned them all up and then used a product available at most electric supply house and I think Lowes even carries it....its called "Noalox" and you just put a dab on each connection and it will keep the connections clean and free of corrosion. I still have a charging system problem that I need too address but it keeps the battery up and starts on the first crank.

Also....if the engine is turning slowly on 6 volt, you may have a bad starter and its pulling all the load from the system and not allowing enough juice too work the points. Easy enough too check that by cranking it by hand and see if it starts easier.

Both of my tractors are still 6 volt and they both start easy......but eveything has too be nice and clean and a good battery and working starter and generator for the 6 volt too do its job.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Funny you'd mention drawing too much power away from the points. It's never been an issue on the little Cub Cadets, but when this battery is low, forget jumping it or pulling it. It can turn over all it wants and won't start. Since putting the new battery in a week or two ago, I've started it 25 times and it fires right off like it used to. I don't fully understand it, but keeping a good battery in there is an easy enough fix for me.
Most of our old Farmalls are 6V and start right up even in the coldest of winter days.

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

ksanders wrote:Funny you'd mention drawing too much power away from the points. It's never been an issue on the little Cub Cadets, but when this battery is low, forget jumping it or pulling it. It can turn over all it wants and won't start. Since putting the new battery in a week or two ago, I've started it 25 times and it fires right off like it used to. I don't fully understand it, but keeping a good battery in there is an easy enough fix for me.
Most of our old Farmalls are 6V and start right up even in the coldest of winter days.
Not sure what model you're talking about , but if it has a starter generator with automatic compression release it needs to turn 300 rpm to get enough compression to start.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

It's just a '51 Farmall M with separate starter and generator. Just a side note, the live hydraulics probably hurt my winter starting since they run from the distributor. Oh well, it's starting now so I'm happy for the moment.