Farmall Cub

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
DallasT
First and Last Name: Dallas Thompson

Farmall Cub

Post by DallasT »

I am glad to see the registry coming back together. Since the forum went down, I found a really slick old farmall cub with a 59" belly mower and a front blade I am thinking about working a trade out on. But, I have a couple of questions about them. I am planning on using it to mow a couple of acres and I am hoping it will be faster than my 125 with a 42" deck. I was originally watching for a super with a 60" deck when I found the larger cub. Does anyone know how the bigger cub will compare mowing wise to the smaller SGT and/or the even smaller 125 I have now? It seems logical that it wouldn't be as maneuverable as the smaller cadets. I would appreciate any input. Are there any tasks that they are more capable of doing? Thanks, Dallas
1969 Cub Cadet 125 - Work in progress

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Re: Farmall Cub

Post by cbingaman »

Cubs are fairly manueverable little tractors. Should be worlds better in a snow blade than a cub cadet. When it comes to the mower deck though I would say that a 59" cut is asking a lot out of a cub. There was one on the cub we have when we bought it and it took alot just to sling the mower over without cutting grass. IH made a 42" cut belly mower for the cub and I think that it is more suitable of a match for the tractor than a 59". Just my opinion on it, however they are neat little tractors. I never get tired of driving ours, lots of fun.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've been cutting grass with a 67 Cub Lo-Boy and 59" mower for about 3 years now. Cubs really need to be tuned just right or they don't put out any power. Tuned right and they're respectable. If the grass is tall and thick and more suited to bush-hog, I wouldn't run the 59" mower through. It'll either burn up a belt or kill the motor before ever considering to cut weeds. Ask me how I know that. Now when you keep the grass cut at least once every 2 weeks, the old 59" does wonders for me and will go through stuff a 125 might struggle a bit in and lay down a better cut doing it. With turning brakes, maneuverability is pretty good.
If you're going for speed, a SGT is probably a much better fit for you. The old Cubs are really fun, but even my 782 is a touch faster cutting (even with a 10" smaller mower deck). Unless you're really looking to fly through grass cutting, the Cub probably won't disappoint you once it's set up right. Still quite a bit quicker than a 125 and the grass can be a little taller before cutting too. Hope that helps.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

John T
First and Last Name: John Teller

Post by John T »

The Farmall Cub's little 60 cubic inch engine puts out a whopping 9.25 Belt and 8 Drawbar HP (15 Belt HP for the last International Cubs). Not much excess power there!

DallasT
First and Last Name: Dallas Thompson

Post by DallasT »

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I might be better off to wait for a SGT for my usage. Then I would have a three point option as well.
1969 Cub Cadet 125 - Work in progress