Farmall "C" with Sickle bar

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
Scott Dickerson
First and Last Name: Scott Dickerson

Farmall "C" with Sickle bar

Post by Scott Dickerson »

Hello all. I have been trying to figure out my sickle bar mower that I have on my farmall model "C". As soon as I start cutting grass with it the pittman arm comes off on the bar end. Here is a picture of the Sickle bar, maybe someone can tell me what model it is and also what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks
Attachments
0830091301.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Re: Farmall "C" with Sickle bar

Post by l palma »

welcome back stranger... :lol:

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

Things to check, the spring loaded clamp that goes over the ball on the knife bar. The spring may be weak(should take a long drift pin and hammer to get it over the ball) or the ball on the knife bar is worn. It may also be out of register which lets the pitman
want to continue to push the knife bar but it has reached the stop on the end of the bar. That will either cause the clamp to come off the ball or break the pitman .
Cycle it by hand and make sure that when the bar is at its furtherest travel that the knife sections are centered in the middle of the rock guards and that it isn't binding. A rock guard may be loose and letting a section hit it or a ledger plate that has worked loose and causing the section to hit it.
Hope this helps.

Scott Dickerson
First and Last Name: Scott Dickerson

Post by Scott Dickerson »

Tim thanks for the tips, I will get out there today and see what I can do. If I need some parts for this where might I find them? I have already found blades at TSC.

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

Scott, sections, rock guards& ledger plates from TSC . The spring loaded clamp is probably NLA from Case IH, but a used one can be found or one from a green machine of the same era might work. Let me know what you find and what you need.

TexCub
First and Last Name: Autry Hodges

Post by TexCub »

Model C-21-M. Parts are still available from Case-IH.