My 52 super M belted too a Meadows 20" grist mill.

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

My 52 super M belted too a Meadows 20" grist mill.

Post by Mayor »

Hey guy....
Thought some of you may like too see the ole Super M belted up and running a grist mill.......we ground 300# of corn this past weekend into cornmeal from yellow dent corn. Had a great time. There were a few cub cadets there this year and this was the first show that I only took big tractors too. Poor cubbies had too stay home this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrEWQ_B ... ideo_title

Trebor
First and Last Name: Robert Ganyard

Re: My 52 super M belted too a Meadows 20" grist mill.

Post by Trebor »

Tony,

Did that Super M know he was working? That grinder is really neat but did not seem too demanding of the M.
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you are going, And the insight to know when you have gone too far”.

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

Mayor,
That looks nice!! How can you tell what speed to run that? Is it hit and miss with the rpms?

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

hehehe.....No....the ole M is way overkill for running a gristmill but she was there and volunteered too do it.....said she wanted too watch anyway.
We played with the feed of the corn a little and I never heard the M even come tight or offer too bump the governor.

As for the speed....well....ya just gotta be around this old stuff and get an ear for the rpm of the machines your running. Alot of it has too do with watching the belt as they will tell you a few things also......pulling too hard with slack, too tight, not tight enough, sidewalking, slipping, etc. but mostly ya just hafta adjust the tractor speed for the machine your running. Gristmills dont take much over 8 horses I would think as they dont pull real hard as long as your not feeding them too much. Buzzaws run about mid throttle so the rpm of the blade is right....gotta stand them ole saws up a bit too true them out and make them cut really good.
Too fast and she'll get the heeby jeeby's on ya and might decide too come apart......too slow and she'll walk and grab.....but when ya get that sweet spot.....man is it nice too cut with them and they sure sound good.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Yea da Mayor is spot on on the buzz saws..... its even more important on a sawmill... blades of that size are "hammered" for a particular speed where the blade actually goes from a cup to being straight... lotsa experience needed to "hammer" a blade properly. Infact also the "hammer guy" also needs to know the temperature of the arbor.... as alot of old mills and buzzsaws have babbit bearings and run a bit warmer... and it affects the blade!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......