Primer color

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
genep
First and Last Name: Gene Preston

Primer color

Post by genep »

Friends here with Farmall 140 tractors have told me they think their tractors must have been industrial tractors or special ordered tractors for a DPW or highway department because beneath the red paint is yellow paint. I checked their serial numbers and they do not indicate industrial tractors.
Last week I purchased a nice IH Farmall 140 tractor right off a Kentucky tobacco farm. Guess what? Today I did some work on my 140 and beneath the floor area by the clutch and brake pedals it is yellow. Does anyone know if IH used a yellow primer back in the 60's and 70's? All these tractors cannot be one's ordered with yellow paint when they were new.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: Primer color

Post by Paul B »

You will find it on the sheet metal of 60's Cub's and Cub Lo-Boys (pre numbered series Lo-Boys) and I would assume it was used on other models also. It appears to be a zinc chromate type of primer and is a different shade/color than what was used on the yellow painted tractors. The tractors had a standard color, and depending on the year and model that could be red or it could be yellow, but even with a standard color for the model, IH would paint it the color the customer ordered, specially if it was for a multi tractor order, so just because it may have been painted yellow at one time, it does not always mean that it was/is an industrial model . But you will find a yellow primer on the 60's Cub's.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........