????? is there something to look for????

Here's where we talk about the big red stuff.
madmolly3
First and Last Name: Michael Mollohan

????? is there something to look for????

Post by madmolly3 »

have an old friend with a 1947 framall cub, it is very rough.....is there anything that i should look for that could make it worth something, verses having it scraped. i know a little about cub cadets, nothing about farmalls........it is in central illinois. thanks in advance. just hate to see things melt that some one could use. will try to get photo, no fast hitch or hydrolic lift.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: ????? is there something to look for????

Post by JMotuzick »

well if it really is a 47 then that should be enough! 47 was the first year and the s/n is gona be low they made them for 40 years so they made quite a few, but only 500 with 3 digit s/n's and only 9000 with 4!

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

The serial number is on a metal plate on the right front side of the tractor, on the steering box by the bottom of the steering shaft. About the first thing to look for on a Cub is to see if any of the castings are cracked or have been welded : the front bolster that the front axle is attached to and that is the bottom tank of the radiator, rear axle housings, rear axle drop boxes, torque tube that runs from the engine to the transmission, engine block (specially where it bolts to the front bolster), etc. Any cracks or welds will lower the price and make it less desireable to a collector. If it does not have a hydraulic lift, does it have the manual lift on it and is it intact. When the Cub came out in 1947, the hyd system was not available, but it could be retrofitted to the earlier models when it became available, and a lot of them were.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

going to go see with camera, thanks for the ideas for what to look for???? and the manual lift he says is in all there. thanks for the info to get me looking.

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

Four little holes were plate was.....any other places?

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

No, but the date codes on the engine (left side) and on the castings will give a general idea of when it was built. The date codes look like a piece about 1/2" high, 2-3" long screwed on the casting, but are actually part of the casting (they actually were screwed to the wooden pattern the mold was made from) and will have numbers for the day, and month and a letter for the year. In that era the castings were left to "age" and were normally not used until 4 to 6 months or so after being cast. The letter "Q" was used for 1947, R for 1948, S for 1949 etc. The engine serial number does not match the tractor serial except on some very, very early 47 models. As production continued, the engine and tractor S/N's were not even close because the engines were also used in other applications such as power plants/units, hay balers, marine use, etc.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

going to have to get my friend to looking around his sheds, he has the original motor stored in a shed (it got worn out) and the motor in it know is one of the other motor uses....baler,or something was just switched out. will try to get photos to post of what is there know (photo from my phone always say to big for posting) thanks again for the help and info. mike :beer:

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Pictures (9) of 1947 Farmall from Mad Molly
Attachments
farmal 1.jpg
farmal 2.jpg
farmal 3.jpg
farmal 4.jpg
farmal 5.jpg
farmal 6.jpg
farmal 7.jpg
farmal 8.jpg
farmal 9.jpg

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

will photo to light ,on my part. But as for seeing them a big thank you to "Geezer" i could not get them to post. THANK YOU :beer:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

If there are no major parts missing,cracked or broken that does not look all that bad and I would take it on.

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

I just check the site, it does not email me a notice. It has , welded what ever the thing under the radiator, that is cast iron , front axel welded ,the tube and rear end axles i think are fine. did not realize how light photos were. if you email me with "old 47 cub" in heading i could try to get you some better photos. It is right in the middle of illinois by interstate 55, exit 140. atlanta ,ill. I think it would be parts tractor , but i play with the little old cub cadet and really do not much about it. four kids at home and wife ,going out of town for three days.....so responce times may be slow.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I use http://www.irfanview.com/ to resize photos, I used the "color correction" on Farmall 9 to get this result
farmal 9.jpg

LeeC
First and Last Name: Lee Cramer

Post by LeeC »

That looks pretty rough. The welded thing under the radiator is called the bolster. It probably had water in the radiator, froze, and cracked. I would at least save the Woods 42 mower. --Lee

madmolly3

Post by madmolly3 »

Thanks to some info from PAUL B. got to looking at motor and it was cast 5/15/1947. with motor serial number #728. so it was june of 1947. without serial number on the tractor.....would there be any records of tractors by serial number sent to dealers. Almost positive it was McLean, Minier, or Heyworth Illinois that tractor was originally purchased....it has not moved to far....it is about 5 miles from where it was purchased new. :beer: thanks for the help. going to try to look around with original owners name and see if i can find anymore info

56cub
First and Last Name: Matt Atkinson

Post by 56cub »

madmolly3 wrote:Thanks to some info from PAUL B. got to looking at motor and it was cast 5/15/1947. with motor serial number #728. so it was june of 1947. without serial number on the tractor.....would there be any records of tractors by serial number sent to dealers. Almost positive it was McLean, Minier, or Heyworth Illinois that tractor was originally purchased....it has not moved to far....it is about 5 miles from where it was purchased new. :beer: thanks for the help. going to try to look around with original owners name and see if i can find anymore info
IH, never kept records of which dealers got what tractors. Chances are the engine number is also what the serial number was. The early cubs had engine serial numbers that matched the tag on the boslter. This changed later when production increased. I think it's worth saving, the 3 digit serial number cubs are getting harder to find. This one was most likely the 227th one that rolled off the line.