Cub Cadet 106 repower question

This is your place for high horsepower and traction!
Ianb
First and Last Name: Ian Buckwell

Cub Cadet 106 repower question

Post by Ianb »

I have recently purchased a 106 with the engine removed and parts removed, although I am not strictly building a puller I thought this forum section most appropriate.

I am considering fitting a small 2 cylinder diesel to the tractor such as a Kubota or Lombardini. My main concern with doing this is how to attach the new engine to the 106's clutch, is it just a question of machining an aluminum hub which bolts upto the clutch input(disk with 3 lugs protruding for clutch disk) and then bolts to the engine pulley/flywheel depending on rotation? if anyone has any information, links or photos I would be very grateful to see how others have gone about it, thanks Ian

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Cub Cadet 106 repower question

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome again....lol. I didn't see u asked this down here when I quick mentioned the diesel up in the welcome mat. Anyway.....if your goal is to tinker, Fab and mess around...go for the diesel. It would be cool...and we will need pictures as u go. If you want to get it running to drive around....the stock engine would b done in no time. Cheerios.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Tagging on to dag's thoughts... You're new to Cubs, it would be so much easier to get the 10 hp going again, and probably for much less money. Putting the tractor back how it was meant to be would give you a great education of how they're put together. That 10 hp can do an awful lot of work, likely no need for the diesel unless it's just something your aching for.

Start a thread in the 'Shooting the Breeze section, and we can play along as you go. And Welcome!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

I have no need for a diesel, it is more a want than a need, if I am honest I have no need for a cub at all. It is more of a hobby for me and doing the tractor up and painting it will give me as much fun as riding it round.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I hear you.... riding them around is for the birds! Now taking them apart.... sanding, priming and laying down some gloss.....now that's FUN! 8-)

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

When fitting alternative engines such as a diesel to a narrow frame cub cadet is it normal to fit the engine bolted solidly to the metal mounts/frame or are they fitted using rubber mountings to reduce vibration? If mounting with rubber mounts does the clutch need to be modified to handle the slight engine movement or is there enough tolerance/play in the clutch assembly to handle this?

Thanks

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Idk..... maybe take the lead of how the donor diesel was originally mounted. I do see a rubber mount being a good thing but not sure if it's needed. Is this a single cylinder? Post us a pic of the engine u r thinking about.

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

I am still on the hunt for an engine, I am after a Lombardini or Kubota Z482 water cooled twin, like found in generators, trailer fridge units etc. I will try to find the youtube videos that made me want to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bsn8hc45OFg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SboGHvAatPE

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Believe me....I love a good diesel engine! In high school I had the original cb handle of "Diesel Dave".
My only fear....is I would hate to see u spend money on what could and probably will be a "cobble fest".....not to b mistaken for peach cobbler....lol. I'm sure u will do a nice job....but doing a nice job will obviously cost nice money. And in the end it won't have much value. Idk....prove me wrong. I'm not sure why people don't like to hang out with me.....I'm full of positivity :lol:

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I'm with Mr Positivity :lol:

If you're getting into the Cub hobby you'll soon run across the attachments that were available for them. Mowers, sickle mower, chipper, tiller, snowblower, and much more. As fun as it would be to build, you'll lose the function to run any of these attachments. I have many of these attachments, need very few if any of them, but they sure are fun.
Secondly, these mowers are super cheap now. I'd buy a wide frame or spread frame cub cadet to put a diesel in. Much more space to work with and beefed up drivelines to an extent.
Lastly, if you just want to put a diesel in your mower anyway, go for it! They don't sell for a mint anymore all stock and you had the fun of doing it. My first concern would be making the clutch line up. Perhaps upgrade the rear of the driveline with flex couplers like later mowers had. Shouldn't be expensive and parts are pretty interchangeable from old to new models since the rear end was relatively unchanged.
Only one rule on this forum for such projects. WE LOVE PICTURES! :beer:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

Thanks for the opinions and I understand what you say. Cub Cadets are few and far between in the UK compared to the US and Cub specific attachments seem almost non existent which is why I don't have many options on tractor choice and have no plans to search for attachments.

As far as resale this is of no concern as this is a project for my enjoyment and I have no plans to sell it.

Soon as I can find a suitable engine I will get pictures. I am just trying to gather what info I can find as its nice to have a plan and also know what problems need overcoming.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yea I understand. It will be a fun project! Like was said ....make sure u keep us in the loop with pics.
And....I promise...no more of my positivity :beer:

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

No worries, its good too hear other peoples opinion, sometimes it cam be easy to get carried away and end up regretting your choices.

If anyone has any info on motor mounting and/or the hub to connect motor to clutch would be grateful. I have also been reading up on whether to have the engine the 'traditional' way and flip the diff or to turn the engine so rotation is correct, some say the ring/pinion will be fine with the teeth running backwards, but I read one guy had problems and I cant afford custom reverse teeth ring/pinion.