First pull

This is your place for high horsepower and traction!
DavidH
First and Last Name: David Hord

First pull

Post by DavidH »

I finally got a tractor together for my son to start pulling. Friday we hooked it onto the front of a compact loader tractor to help break it in and to let him get use to it. The first time he dumped the clutch and with me not knowing how to weight this tractor, he was really light on the front. It stood straight up onto the wheelie bars and his eyes got as big as plates! After the first try, he didn't mind the front end coming up and was leaning like a pro to steer the tractor. We went to his first pull on Saturday and he drove like a champ! The tractor was WAY out classed for the stock 16hp. class but for his first time, he did great. Now he is bugging me that he wants his twin powered tractor done because this one went too slow! Kids, what can you say!
Attachments
Calvin.1.jpg
Calvin.1.jpg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Re: First pull

Post by Amigatec »

You went and done it now. This will start to get expensive. HAHAHA
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

It's already getting expensive. I don't have much in the 16 stocker he is pulling now, but I have alot in the twin Command that is next. He's worth what ever it takes as he is a great kid who is always on the honor roll and doesn't get into trouble. It's a good hobby for us to do together and he gets to learn how to work on tractors.

aar
First and Last Name: Craig Armfield

Post by aar »

we're working on a similar project too, its definitely been a fun experience so far with my kids :D

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Saturday was the last pull of the year for the club we pull with. It's been a interesting summer with Calvin learning to drive the puller and with breakage. At first we were underpowered compared to the rest of the tractors in the class. I replaced the 18hp. cam with a reground one and bought a good modified carb off the auction site. That woke it up till the stock fuel tank developed a leak at a pull and the stock fuel pump quit working. The rearend that came in the tractor started making noise, so I finished the four speed rearend and put it in. Got it all running good at the previous pull to this last one and the tractor was cruising down the tractor really hooked up, when it started drifting towards the side. Calvin lifted off of the throttle afraid of going out of bounds even though he was five feet from the line. I told him he should have stayed in it, and if it went out of bounds, it went out of bounds. It was a good learning situation. Saturday, he pulled it all together and came home with wins in both classes. He was thrilled to have finally won. I was proud as could be of him and the tractor. We were pulling against tough competition with pro built tractors with our home built one that I have about $1500 in that runs mostly used parts. The only new parts in the tractor were the piston rings, valve springs, rod bearing, clutch disc, shifting forks, and tranny gears. Here are some pictures of the proud puller.
cjhwinning.jpg
cjhtrophy.jpg

stick004
First and Last Name: Nic Bextermueller

Post by stick004 »

Congrats!!! Isn't it amazing what what a cam, carb, and gears will do for these cubbies. I honestly feel bad for guys trying to anything else. (yes rare, but I do see it... can you say wheel horse.) I can't remember the last time I saw an actual true JD at our pulls.

Again. keep up the good work. I know pulling with my dad has been one of the best things we've ever done together. I'm now 30 and still doing it with him. I have a 2 yr old that gets to help with every bit that is safe. I can only hope that he gets the same bug. For at else a few years.