Anybody got a TD to post about?

All the other stuff IH related!
Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Anybody got a TD to post about?

Post by Scott C. »

So????
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Anybody got a TD to post about?

Post by Jlaws »

Over the weekend I purchased a TD6
50 hp . with a DROTT skidloader .
Runs good but doesn't appear to be charging the battery .
I need to pickup a wiring diagram and a operation manual for it.
The only manual I got from the previous owner was the engine repair maual .

I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Post by OhioBinder »

Man that TD6 is a whole lot newer than the ones I ran as a kid. We used them to farm. I started plowing with one when I was about 9-10 years old. We had 2 of them, used them to plow and work ground, pulled an 8 row planter with them as well.
Had a TD9 that got a 6 cylinder Perkins diesel put in it, boy what a work horse that was, it would pull a 6-16 plow and never open the govener. Later on one of the TD6's had a perkins transplanted into it as well. We never had a blade on any of the IH's as we had a JD445 for that work.
The wirring will be similar to most any IH wheel tractor of that era so a wirrring diagram for one of them should show you what you need to know. :)
David Gregg
NW oIHo

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

[quote] Man that TD6 is a whole lot newer than the ones I ran as a kid. We used them to farm.

Wow , how old are you....LOL .
The TD6 is a 50yr.old 1960 model ...Its almost as old as me..... :D
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Post by OhioBinder »

I'm not as old as dirt but I am catching up. :lol:
Well the TD6 was introduced in 1940. They had a diesel that started on gas and after you warmed it up you swithced it over to diesel. Had sparkplugs, distributor and carborator on the rt side and an injection pump and injectors on the left side.
Yours has a direct start diesel in it. You don't know what you missed.
Your are just a young pup.
David Gregg
NW oIHo

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Jesse....
You may look for DROTT instead of IH....some of these were sold under the Drott name.....

jkm2a
First and Last Name: Kenny Morrow

Post by jkm2a »

Well, I don't but my Dad does. A couple of 'em, actually. He has a T-340 (gas burner, not diesel, unfortunately) that is from the late '50s or early '60s, not sure on its exact age, and he just got a TD-15. It's a Dresser, looks like it was maybe made not too terribly long after the construction equipment division was sold off, as some of the castings still have the IH logo. I have run the T-340 some, but I have not operated the TD-15 yet. It's been parked in a barn since he brought it home, and I haven't had a chance to fire it up. Looks to be a pretty straight machine, but he has warned me that if I come to run it, I'll need to bring hearing protection, as it has a very large chrome straight pipe on the exhaust and is supposed to be very loud.

I will try to get pics if anyone is interested.

tlowry
First and Last Name: Terry Lowry

Post by tlowry »

Binder Books is real good source for manuals, I got one for a td9 once

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Kenny
I used to have a TD340. That was the diesel version. Wish I had it back as it had the 6-way power blade and I could use it to finish grade after I use my big dozer to rough it in,

I saw one east of Birmingham, AL back in July while only way to Fort Benning. I was going to stop during my Sept. run and see if it might be for sale but it was gone by then.

Did have a tendency to crack heads. Did have a lot of power for its size.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

I have had two TD-8s ,wish I had the first one back as it had sweeps and was a real nice farm machine. I need to do a few dozer projects so I have been kinda looking for a deal on one again.If the right deal comes along I`ll buy iy and do my work and then sell it again.If all goes well with no major break downs its cheaper than highering out or renting.
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Well its only taken me a little over a year , but I think I've got this thing ready to do some work . I purchased an operation manual and a really nice parts manual over the summer to go with the engine service and repair manual that came with it and after a lot of work I have the wiring and hydraulics working properly . This TD6 hasn't seen proper maintance for some time and all the fluids were low . I purchased a case of grease and 5 gallons of 90W 150 rearend lube for it , and man o man this thing has a gazillion grease fittings on it :lol:

I've tightened the tracks and adjusted the brake bands and clutches and now it turns a lot better .
I also welded up and finally painted a ROP for it out of heavy walled tubing .

I'm still trying to get familiar with the controls and the wifes already complaining about me tearing up the yard . :oops:

Heres a couple of pictures I took of it today after I took it out in the field and layed down a bunch of brush and saplings with it .
Attachments
Sscn3687.jpg
Sscn3688.jpg
Sscn3689.jpg

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Does that one have the 2 speed steering?
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Pat , I'm not exactly sure what 2 speed steering is , sorry for my ignorance . If I want to make a gradual turn I disengage the clutch lever on that side . If I want to make a sharp turn then I disengage the clutch on that side and also lock the brake on that side . Is that what your talking about ?

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Some of the TD's had 2 speed steering, pull the clutch levers back to disengage, release them for low speed steering, and lock them all the forward for high speed. Works great when working a slope. You can lock one side in high speed and keep the other in low speed. Your's may be to old to have that, I've seen it on some TD 25's. I don't think any other company ever had it. International came out with it first.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

OK ,I learned something today , I didnt' know about 2 speed steering . Mine doesn't have it .