Spoke rims

Here's where you can post your Cub Cadet based specials. Actually, if it's cool and not Cub based, post it anyway!
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Spoke rims

Post by Jlaws »

My brother had an old rusted out fertilizer spreader that he was scrapping that had these spoked rims .
There 15 inch rims that are 5 inchs wide and would probably look cool with a set of 15 X 6 lug tires .
When I first seen them I thought they might be good for a 1/4 scale Farmall tractor project I've been thinking about doing one day. I've seen 1/4 scale tractors use something similar and I like the spoked look.
There really rusty but straight , and are going to be sandblasted .
I placed 2 cub cadet rim center in the picture for size reference .

Here's my problem :
I'm looking for ideals on how to make them mountable to a IH cub cadet rearend , and still look good .
The centers are cast iron and they were mounted on 2 inch diameter spindles .

We have some pretty imaginative members .
Any Ideals ?
Attachments
Sscn3441.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Re: Spoke rims

Post by Paulf »

Jess, a really simple way to do it would be get another axle and bolt in on to the existing axle. You would then have a one inch shaft sticking out. Find a sleeve to adapt the one inch axle to two inches and you're in business. Hope this makes sense.

Paul

scubersteve
First and Last Name: Steve Archer

Post by scubersteve »

I think I would have some flanges with the cub bolt pattern cut out of 3/8 plate and weld them directly to the inside of the center hubs. That is if you could index the flange so the spokes don't block your lugnut access. Those wheels were never meant to be drive wheels so I can't see any other way to use them to transfer power other than welding them to a flange.
They are pretty cool though.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?

scubersteve
First and Last Name: Steve Archer

Post by scubersteve »

or I suppose you could weld two collars for say 1.5" keyed shaft inside each end of the center hubs then make some flanged 1.5" keyed spindles that bolt to the axles, but I don't really see a benefit over my first suggestion. There's always a way with a plasma cutter, a welder, and a machine shop.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I would make the parts Paul is describing but to make a solid connection drill and tap 3 holes equally spaced around perimeter of the adjoining parts and run a set screw in and lock tight it.
I guess it would help if I post this after type it and not 18 hrs later.