Diesel repower?

Here's where you can post your Cub Cadet based specials. Actually, if it's cool and not Cub based, post it anyway!
curtludwig
First and Last Name: Curt Raymond

Diesel repower?

Post by curtludwig »

Finally found my way here. I useta be on the old site occasionally...
Anyway I've got a 70 that I'd like to build a loader around. We've got a little property that could sure use a loader tractor and the 70 is under used at my house. Unfortunately the K161 in it is pretty tired. It hasn't got the power it should and smokes/uses oil/starts hard/has to warm up a long time.

Today I noticed that Surplus Center has a 10hp diesel for not a crazy price, I also found: http://www.carrollstream.com/category_s/36.htm which has both a 10hp and a 6hp. That 10hp seems like a pretty slick replacement for an old Cub.

Anybody been there, done that?

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Diesel repower?

Post by BigMike »

Curt,glad you found us!
Sounds like a cute idea..........but.
You didn't ask but then most people don't,my opinion is that a loader on a 10hp gear drive will get as much work done as Vince on an August day and that ain't much. :lol:
Trying to handle driving,shifting and loader controls is a lot for two hands.I believe it will be woefully under powered.
I hate to sound like I am piddling on your Cheerios because I don't mean it that way :beer:

I forgot to say that a 10hp diesel in a 70-100 would be way cool for plow days and such.

curtludwig

Post by curtludwig »

Really? I was under the impression a 7hp Cub Cadet would do a reasonable job in loader duty. I've seen guys using a 10hp Murray and having reasonable success.

I don't expect the thing to replace a PayLoader. I need to occasionally haul a little gravel, or mulch or turn the compost pile. I realize that the gear drive will be more challenging but I HAVE a gear drive tractor and other than a tired motor its in pretty fine shape. My other option is to rebuild the K161 (and probably turn it into a K181) which would probably be half of the price of the diesel. I'd figured for the extra money I'd get extra power and fuel economy although the K161 is already relatively thrifty.

I've got a 72 with a fresh engine, I'm reasonably aware what a 7hp Cub is capable of and while a 12hp hydro would be nice its really not in the cards right now. I figure to build this loader on what I've got and if it has problems either upgrade or just start over with a new platform.

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Curt, I have my loader on a Model 73. Until I installed a creeper I had to slip the clutch a lot when loading packed gravel. Since I put the creeper on it, I've had no problems at all with power. And, I like the slower speed. Without the creeper it moved too fast to do a good job leveling the bucket. A lot of people told me the creeper wouldn't hold up under such heavy loads, but I decided to give it a try. So far, so good. I think you'll find you'll have too much speed and too little power with the 7 hp unless you install a creeper. There's a reason that dozers don't move fast. Hope this helps.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Curt,I was basing my opinion off the results I have had with my loader on my 149.The motor is healthy,the tractor is loaded for bear with counterweight and I still run out of traction and power.

curtludwig

Post by curtludwig »

It'll be interesting to see. So the big question of repower may not matter...
I've been plowing snow with my 70 for 5 seasons now, I've got a pretty good idea what it'll do or not do. The creeper seems like a good idea and if I stumble upon a good hydro machine I'll snag it.

Of course there was that Farmall Cub I saw... :D

cubcadet1450
First and Last Name: Marty Mays

Post by cubcadet1450 »

Now you got me thinking again about this diesel repower.

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

curtludwig wrote:I don't expect the thing to replace a PayLoader. I need to occasionally haul a little gravel, or mulch or turn the compost pile.
http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_ ... -Cadet.htm

I've had satisfactory results with the above on my 2185. May not be in your desired price range, though.

Cheers,
PTWannaHave

kwright782
First and Last Name: Keith Wright

Post by kwright782 »

I have a 106 that I modified the frame and put a 12hp with large flywheel. I have 400# of wheel weights and bar tread tires on the rear. I made the Loader Bucket 38" and tractor does just fine. Really will amaze you how much work it will do. I built the loader at least 10 years ago. Still going strong.....

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I have a loader on a 12hp hydro and it does just fine and I usually only run half throttle. The hydro probably takes 2hp to run so 10hp gear would be comparable. And a 10hp diesel will probably have more torque than even a 12hp gas. You can probably turn the fuel up on the diesel to get more power if needed as well. You don't want to depend on a creeper for more power. the creeper is made for speed reduction in low torque applications such as snow throwing and rototilling. They are not for torque amplification. They won't hold up well under heavy use.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Marlin
First and Last Name: Marlin Homrighausen

Post by Marlin »

Just checked evailpay and found these little fellas.... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ine&_frs=1 and then some twelve horsepower... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ine&_frs=1...

I wonder how they would perform in my Pow'r Pup?