Installed Needle Bearing at Motor on 1512

Here's where you can post your Cub Cadet based specials. Actually, if it's cool and not Cub based, post it anyway!
kwright782
First and Last Name: Keith Wright

Installed Needle Bearing at Motor on 1512

Post by kwright782 »

Installed a High Torque Needle Bearing U-Joint at the motor of my Cub Cadet 1512. Made a new driveshaft, front mounting plate, and steel fan for cooling the transmission. Runs really smooth at idle and full throttle. I had put a U-Joint on the motor about 5 years ago but it was not a Needle Bearing and was not able to grease it.
Attachments
New High Torque Needle Bearing U-Joint added to the Motor end of the Drive Shaft. Runs really smooth. I had one on here about 5 years ago but was not needle bearing and was not able to grease U-Joint.
New High Torque Needle Bearing U-Joint added to the Motor end of the Drive Shaft. Runs really smooth. I had one on here about 5 years ago but was not needle bearing and was not able to grease U-Joint.
The New Fan that was Cut and bent for my Cub Cadet to replace the plastic ones. Works great. Fan is 16ga metal or 1/16" thick.
The New Fan that was Cut and bent for my Cub Cadet to replace the plastic ones. Works great. Fan is 16ga metal or 1/16" thick.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Installed Needle Bearing at Motor on 1512

Post by BigMike »

Keith, where did you get the joint and part number?
A slip joint would be nice and then it would eliminate rag joint altogether.

kwright782

Post by kwright782 »

You can get them from Sweet Manufacturing. Part # 401-50808 and are $46.25 each. They work well.

http://sweetmfg.biz/product.php?product ... stseller=Y

kwright782

Post by kwright782 »

Installing the U-Joint on the Motor helped with the Ball Joint Replacement. The Diesel motor shakes when it idles and that just beats the front Ball Bushing. The one at the Transmission lasts forever and the Rag-Joint at the transmission lasts a long time. I would have looked into changing the design on the Transmission end if it was not lasting. The U-Joint that I installed is not greasable. The U-Joint that I had on it was not a bearing joint and lasted 5 years. That is really good considering the torque of the Diesel motor. Now to do the same thing with my Cub Cadet 782d.