bush hog

Here's where you can post your Cub Cadet based specials. Actually, if it's cool and not Cub based, post it anyway!
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

bush hog

Post by ksanders »

If anyone else is like me and wants rear pto implements for an SGT and can't find or afford one here's what I did. Found an rm42 woods bush hog which is belt driven to a center spindle. After researching the original pto speed then doing all the math on pulley sizes I got it to 2000 rpm. Couldn't find the correct pulleys anywhere so I turned out some smaller cast pulleys in the lathe to the right ID. Made a "mule drive" for tension of the belt, cut the drive shaft, changed to cat 0, found a place that sells the 2000 rpm pto yoke still which is now nla everywhere it seems and now have this. Took a good bit of research, machining, and building, but half the cost of the cub tiller IF you ever find one. Might paint it red and white, haven't decided.

Note if you try this, the rm42 comes in many different pto speeds, hook-up, both rotation directions, and other small changes for different tractors of the time so the work required varies.
Attachments
IMG_00000161.jpg
IMG_00000161.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 4797 times
IMG_00000160.jpg
IMG_00000160.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 4797 times
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: bush hog

Post by stevet »

Nice bush hog! The main reason I've never worried about the rear pto is there's really not much to use it with!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Here is the M&W Heavy Duty Grass and Weed Cutter that is on Edith with the grass cutting attachment on it and is driven by a drive shaft from the crankshaft.
Edith (2).jpg
Edith (2).jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
This is a PDF brochure that explains it(It is quite large if you have dial up)
M&W Weed & grass cutter Brochure.pdf
(11.72 MiB) Downloaded 220 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Kevin , that's a really nice setup . :beer:
William , ediths also looking good , That's a lot of weight hanging on the front of the Original , how hard does it steer in the up position ?
The NF hydro lift I would think is nice to have on that mower .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Jess; I did add a hydraulic lift to it as it took all my strength with the am strong lift. I could steer it but Ihad trouble with not enough weight on the rear end loading it my Van. I think the reason there weren't many of these around because the Original 7 HP wasn't enough. I actually had a K-181 that helped.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Very nice 982, and modified Woods mower!

Never thought I would even see an Original with an M&W 9-speed over/under-drive! That M&W mower looks great too!

Two very interesting pieces of equipment!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!