Converting Coil type ignition to MAG

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Converting Coil type ignition to MAG

Post by Dave C »

Below is what was originally posted on the old IH registry on converting from ignition coil ( Onan )to a magneto ignition ( Kohler Magnum ).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part number 725-1375, "relay" is an active Cub Cadet part used on many of the cyclops tractors and located near the voltage indicator on the battery tray

Relay for Mag Engine conversion.

I used an automotive relay that Travis had laying around his garage one day I was up there..a typical "here use this one" deal....it worked and was free, but I don't know where it came from, sorry.

Pins 85 and 86 are the low current switch loop, when current from the KT style ignition switch is applied, they close and in turn close the contacts on pins 30 and 87, the high current side of the relay....BUT 87 isn't used so they do nothing and the engine runs on the mag ignition. When current is removed from the low side of the relay, contacts 30 and 87 open, closing 30 and 87A (basically the high side toggles between 30/87 energized and 30/87A de-energized). So, if you ground 87A, when the current from the old KT style ignition switch is off, the relay opens and contacts 30 and 87A close on the "back-side" grounding out the mag and killing the engine.

Find a relay with continuity between 30 and 87A with no wires hooked up to it and you should be in the clear.

Caution!!!!!! Test the system with a test light or meter BEFORE hooking the mag to the relay (pin 30). No need to ruin a +$50 mag bacause something isn't wired right, and I'm told mags don't like 12v applied to the kill wire under certain situations.

According to Todd Markle, The NAPA # is AR204
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Converting Coil type ignition to MAG

Post by Jlaws »

Attachments
Mag conversion 2.jpg
Mag conversion 2.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .