Holding your Kohler in an engine stand

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Holding your Kohler in an engine stand

Post by Jeff in Pa »

This works great and was extremely easy to do. Once you remove the engine from your cub, use two of the arms on the engine stand in the holes that hold the starter generator bracket ( 3/8-16NC thread )

Since I didn't have the correct length bolts on hand, I used an extra set of small block chevy starter bolts and a whole stack of washers to bolt the arms to the engine. I snugged them in place and then lifted the engine to the engine stand and put the nuts on those bolts.

The engine stand is one I purchased at Harbor Freight about 4 years ago for $40. Works great for positioning the engine.

It's one of theose extremely simple things that worked even better than I thought. I have seen pictures of other forum members working on their engines this way, so no credit to me, it was somebody else's idea. I just took the pictures :lol:

Jeff
Attachments
DCP_5408A.jpg
DCP_5409A.jpg
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Jeff in Pa

Re: Holding your Kohler in an engine stand

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Revision "A"
Since my wife wasn't around when it was time to remove the engine from the stand, it was time to improvise. Using the bottom top engine stand mounts, I put in two pieces of 1/2" all thread I had, a piece of 2 x 3 across the all thread, a piece of 2x3 under the flat side of the oil pan and a piece of 3/4 board under the dipper so I would have some support when I removed the upper 3/8-16 bolts holding the engine in place.
Attachments
DCP_5411A.jpg

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Hmmm...

When I go to put an engine in, or remove it from the engine stand, I always bolt the bracket to the engine, then lift the whole thing up, and slip it in the stand... and reverse the process to remove... that way I'm not suspending an engine while tryin' to start bolts 'n stuff...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Dave,
When I assembled the engine stand, it was a real bugger to get the rubber grips on handle that lets you rotate the engine. That's why I put the engine onto the assembled stand.

I agree if the rotation handle is easily removable, that would be easier.

Jeff