steering wheel removal solved

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
jimmyz
First and Last Name: Jimmy Zucca

steering wheel removal solved

Post by jimmyz »

I've been collecting for three years. I have destroyed a couple of good steering wheels and shafts, and wasted a lot of time trying to remove the former. I knew there had to be a better way...
Check this out. http://www.jzfab.com

wdeturck

Re: steering wheel removal solved

Post by wdeturck »

That looks like a nice tool but I( couldn't find the link to the order form for it.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I have worked with Jim on this and have tested it on several of my own tractors. The worst was on my 70 i use to mow with. I've owned this one about 4 years I know it was never removed by me or the PO. I hooked it up without any lubricant and used my impact gun on it. About 2 minutes later it came off w/o any damage to any part of the tractor! Well worth it!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Jim,
It looks like the lower clamp part could be used with a regular 3 bolt steering wheel puller. If that is the case, you may want to consider selling just the lower part for guys who already have a 3 bolt steering wheel puller.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

jimmyz
First and Last Name: Jimmy Zucca

Post by jimmyz »

Hey Todd, You're reading my mind! The yellow part is kind of re-inventing the wheel. If we leave that out, and skip the (by hand
) polish, we could cut the price quite a bit. It is really the inside contours and little shaft insert stub that make it work. The first wheel I used it on , I had managed to drive a punch into the end of the shaft, stretching it out bell-shaped. I couldn't have gotten the nut back on to try the "hammer on the bolt" method if I wanted to! This sucker, with an impact gun, popped it right off. The second one was on a tractor that I had tried hammer on bolt, push with knees, got disgusted, put it out back to die a slow death. This tool ,with a ratchet and socket this time, (air hose didn't reach) took it off so easily, I was actually wondering if I'd imagined its being stuck!

EngineMike
First and Last Name: Michael Miner

Post by EngineMike »

I also worked with Jim on this as the R & D Department and this thing works great! I pulled 6 different steering wheels on 3 different series and they all came off without a hitch. No damage to the wheel or the treads on the shaft. I already put my order in. Worth Every Penny!

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Wow ,
Another problem solved.Now if there was a tool to fix all the damaged ones from beating the steering wheel shaft.Hmmm
Now engine Mike,you are not only a client,but are you also the president of the company. hehehe

EngineMike
First and Last Name: Michael Miner

Post by EngineMike »

Lewis,

I have nothing to gain from this, just trying to get the word out about this great tool. Was nice seeing you down in New York, are you going to be at Jacktown?

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Now Mike I didn't mean it that way,
There used to be a commercial a long time ago where this bald guy goes to a toupee shop and end up being the owner.In it he would say"I'm not just the president I am also a client"The older guys from the N.Y. city area know what I am talking about.Maybe... :roll:

Yes I will be at Jacktown.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Bryan
I'll look into it today, will you be at Danville? If so I'll see if I Can get one there next week......
JOE

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Bryan
I stopped at Jimmy's shop, he's out of stock. He said I should sell you mine! If you can get the troubled wheel to PD (or if you there Friday and head home Friday night)I'd be happy to let you use it but I need it back.... at this point there is no ETA on the next batch, his work load has recently gone up considerably, and is now having a sourcing issue with the machine work involved. He will look around and see if he can find the prototype for you but thinks it's gone too. I'll let you know if I find more....

Joe