Industrial 3-phase welders for home use!

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Industrial 3-phase welders for home use!

Post by DaveKamp »

Hey all-

For any of you interested in getting a really good welder, for dirt-cheap, it is very possible to run many 3-phase welders off of single phase power, at full output and duty cycle.

Peter Haas and I came up with a conversion technique that I experimented with and proved on the Miller CP-200, the Miller SRH-333, and others over the last three years. I did the first H-K conversion on a CP-200, and after testing it, I moved onto other machines, and for some silly reason, I traded the pilot machine off for (of all things) A TRACTOR.

Well, I liked the CP-200 so much, I found another one... and brought it home. I've had so many inquiries about my original writeup (which was really more of a blog), that I decided it was time to do a little better job of documenting the process, at least for the CP-200. Last weekend, I did just that- I converted my CP, and while doing it, documented each step, and included helpful hints in the document. Hopefully, the document will attach...
CP-200 Single-Phase Step-By-Step.pdf
Miller CP-200 Single-Phase conversion by Haas-Kamp
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 353 times
Cheers! :beer:
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Industrial 3-phase welders for home use!

Post by BigMike »

Dave,you don't give up very easy......didn't ole Franz tell you this couldn't be done? :lol:

shorty
First and Last Name: Shawn Swogger

Post by shorty »

Does this also work for a bridgeport mill?
Between cub cadets, aircooled vw's, and polaris snowmobiles I have three too many hobbies

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Here is what my Bridgeport and lathe run off,
http://phase-a-matic.com/StaticDescription.htm

Works like a million bucks!

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Hi Shorty!

The H-K conversion only applies to three-phase welding transformers, but I have been pondering other possibilities.

For a Bridgeport, or any other power tools, a Rotary Phase Converter or a Variable Frequency Drive are the best solutions.

I have and use both, but my preference for ANY spindle drive... be it a lathe, milling machine, drill, even planers, shapers, and saws, is to have a VFD driving the cutting motor. They're easy and inexpensive if you do your homework... and you get full 3-phase power output, full authority speed, accelleration, and motor protection, plus adjustable dynamic braking, plug reversal... anything you can imagine in a motor control system... all in one neat little box. Many can run off of single-phase power (although some aren't documented as such) while others will absolutely NOT run off single phase... and some can be 'fooled' to run on single.

I've set up both of my BP heads (one is on a Johannsen radial drill) with VFDs. The Johannsen uses a common 2hp three-phase motor, and instead of the step-belt arrangement, I use just a 3:1 underdriven tooth-belt system, so when the spindle is turning 2000rpm, the motor's turning 6000! I can twist a 3/4" tap in half with this setup... and with the drill chuck spinning at full speed, I can stop the bit in under 3 turns... it's a beast.

Here's a cheat-sheet I made for some VFDs that're commonly-available on the used-pull-out market:
Allen-Bradley 1336S series
1336SGEN.pdf
(24.9 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Allen-Bradley 1305 series
1305GEN.pdf
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
And a diagram of my homemade pushbutton-start Rotary Phase Converter
DKRpc.pdf
(66.57 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Keep in mind that a rotary phase converter can be incredibly simple- just a 2-pole hand operated switch, an old 3-phase motor, and a piece of rope... but you can go fancy and make it self-starting and protected like mine... or buy one commercially like Mike's.

There's benefits to each plan, so you get to choose!
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.