setting the governor on a cub 124

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JoshO
First and Last Name: Josh Ott

setting the governor on a cub 124

Post by JoshO »

i recently replaced the brass nut that the governor shaft goes inside of and now I can't get the governor set right. It bogs down when I go up hills and revs up going downhill. I've tried moving the spring that connects to the governor arm to the throttle cable in almost all of the holes on the governor arm with no luck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: setting the governor on a cub 124

Post by BigMike »

Did you set it per the manual?

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Losen the linkage, move the gov arm TOWARDS the front of the tractor. HOLD the gov arm then gently turn the shaft COUNTER CLOCKWISE. While holding the gov arm, tighten.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I have learned that a small pair of needle nose vise grips can be a great aid during the setup procedure. It's just the right amount of weight to maintain a steady amount of tension without causing overloading on the cross shaft, and it frees up both hands to tighten the governer arm bolt and nut smoothly ;)
DSCN2096.JPG