Lathe work

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Lathe work

Post by Farmallgray »

I needed a special fitting for the new fuel filter on my pulling tractor. It is a 3/8 npt 90 deg fitting with a 5/16 hose barb. I couldn't find one to buy
in any material other than plastic. With the new high pressure supply pump I didn't want to use plastic. I could have gotten brass fittings but couldn't find it in one piece. I would have needed to use pipe bushing. So I decided to make my own. I used aluminum to keep the weight down. It doesn't make much difference but every little bit helps.

Started with a block of aluminum;
IMG_4561.JPG
I drew a diagram of what it would look like;
IMG_4563.JPG
I cut a notch then chucked it in the 4 jaw chuck centering it with a live center.
IMG_4574.JPG
Turned the 3/8 NPT side to the correct size
IMG_4575.JPG
I had to buy a die and make a die holder to mount in the tail stock.
IMG_4572.JPG
I turned the chuck by hand with the chuck ket to do the threading. I also had to hold the tailstock chuck to keep it from turning. It takes a lot of torque to cut 3/8 npt threads even in aluminum.
IMG_4576.JPG
After drilling the center of the npt side, I re chucked to do the hose barb side.
IMG_4579.JPG
Here is the hose barb turned and drilled
IMG_4580.JPG
The finished product.
IMG_4582.JPG
here it is mounted to the fuel filter
IMG_4581.JPG
I don't often use a 4 jaw chuck, but they allow you to make oddball stuff like this.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Lathe work

Post by BigMike »

Todd,you are one handy fella!
nice machine work.

When I use a tap or die in the lathe I usually get enough threads started to make sure they are cutting square and then move it to the vise where it is a little easier to work.

"I don't often use a 4 jaw chuck, but they allow you to make oddball stuff like this."
Do you think you could fix Vince with a four jaw he's kinda oddball? :lol:

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Good gosh I would have never thought something like that can be made at home! I canrt wait to get mine going, wait till you see what I can screw up!

Mike 4 aunt big enough, LOL

I spent 1 1/2 hrs on the phone the other night with DSW about lathe work, man can that guy talk!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

Todd,
Nice job! I might have a brass 1 if I can find it. I can put my hands on a 3/8 and 1/2 but cant find the 5/16 1.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

BigMike wrote: When I use a tap or die in the lathe I usually get enough threads started to make sure they are cutting square and then move it to the vise where it is a little easier to work.
I usually do too, but I didn't have a die stock big enough for that die. Most of my larger dies are hex. I couldn't justify buying one for just that project and the die holder was fairly easy to make. If I end up getting any more big dies I'll probably get a die stock.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Hee hee... Nice work!

I rarely use my 3-jaw chucks... the 4-jaw not only allows you to do an oddball part, it allows you to re-set a part that doesn't land true if the 3-jaw doesn't register properly against the jaws...

EVERYTHING can be made at home... except... for things that can be made at WORK! :D
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

One trick I learned with a 3 jaw chuck. If you mark the part and the chuck with a sharpie before removing it, and line the mark up when putting it back in,
the runout will be fairly minimal. This only works if you are chucking on the same surface again. Most of what I do isn't that precise anyhow.

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Nice work Todd :beer:

A lot of times you can get a part running truer in a four jaw chuck than a three jaw. Just takes a tiny bit of patience and a dial indicator.

Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Nice Todd!
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find