Bead Blaster

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Bead Blaster

Post by Paulf »

A buddy of mine is thinking about purchasing a bead blaster and asked my opinion. I know absolutely nothing about them, but told him I'd check with the collective wisdom here. He's looking at purchasing a 100# outfit from Eastwood (does 80 grit glass beads). Anyone have any comments, suggestions, things to check, etc.? TIA

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Bead Blaster

Post by Farmallgray »

Here is a thread I started a while back;viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1385&p=19480&hilit ... net#p19480

TP tools has really good deals on cabinets.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

IMGP4474.JPG
Sealed with silicone
Sealed with silicone
Vacuum for excess dust
Vacuum for excess dust
For what it's worth, here are my observations about sandblasting cabinets. (Note that I have a low-quality unit, and I am glad that I didn't pay more than it's 1/2 price sale!)

- silicone all metal mating surfaces during assembly. You'll regret it if you don't...
- you'll need a shop vac with dust bag (such as used for drywall sanding) to suck very fine particles as you're blasting
- look for a unit where changing the plastic shield (under the glass window) is easy.
- gloves tend to wear out where they are clamped to the cabinet...
- the gun and its suction hose clog easily with debris. (This is very annoying and a royal pain.) I had to install a secondary screen below the sand line that allows the media to pass through, but not larger debris such as paint chips. I used regular steel window screen material, which worked great until I put a slightly larger blasting media... (Now media won't get to suction hose...) Another problem yet to be solved.
- a light inside the cabinet is a near must.

Hope this helps,
PTWannaHave

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm a little busy right now but hope to follow up in the next couple of days.

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

Here is my cabinet that I just completed. I have not used it much yet so I don't know how well everything will work. It is about 48" wide and I have a 28" extension that I can add for longer items. I bought most of the blasting items from TP Tools. I bought their glass with the tear off liner on the inside and a plastic protector on the outside.
IMG_5083 (Medium).JPG
Attachments
IMG_5087 (Medium).JPG
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Charlie,
Do you have a photo of the extension? Did you make it yourself or just use the one TP makes?

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

I made my own out of aluminum. At the time I worked for Alcoa, now retired, and was allowed a given amount of aluminum a month. I worked in the Mechanical Maintenance Department and had access to all the equipment to make the extension myself. I bought the main cabinet in two pieces from a fellow who got it in trade from a guy who made blast cabinets. I borrowed my brother's Lincoln MIG welder to weld the cabinet together. I enjoy building that kind of stuff. I built my own 5' x 12' landscape type trailer a few years ago to haul my antique rototillers to shows.

I would like some info on that water filter you have on your unit. Does it have an indicator for when it is full or does it have a drain? Also where did you get it? I ran 1/2" black pipe from the front of my garage where the compressor is to the back, sloping it down to the back. Also, all of my drops I ran up, then down, and put a drop leg with 1/4 turn valve to drain any water, below the air chuck. I am sure on a humid day that I will have moisture problems and will eventually need some kind of special filter.
Attachments
IMG_5036 (Medium).JPG

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Charlie,
The filter is made by Wix. It doesn't have any indicator of when it needs changed. I assume you will know somehow, but I haven't run into it yet. My cousin has one on his and has for several
years. Maybe the airflow slows down? Maybe the moisture starts getting through? Not sure.

They are available from NAPA. Here is a link to the website:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Products.aspx?ct=pac

Here is an FAQ

http://www.aquachekfilters.com/products/aquachek-faq

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Just thought i would start this topic back up with some shots of what i have been working on the last few days. I hope to use this for small hardware that i will zinc plating (someday), i was trying a few different methods of cleaning the hardware and nothing worked as good as blasting for final prep. In the past i have set up outside but this winter just did not allow that ! The box is about 42"x24"x24 high, way bigger than i need but i have a little wall space left in my garage so this will fill that space nicely. So far the only purchase has been the piano hinge, the wood is all left over from jobs. So the main box is mostly half inch ply except the back, that is 3/4. The 1/2 ply is tricky to screw so im using small trim screws and drilling most of the screw depth, and finish nails. There will b legs, light, dust vac port and some other goodies so stay tuned. I will try to post every few days/week or so till its done. Dave
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 14305 times
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 14305 times
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 14305 times
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 14305 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dave
If your planing on keeping this along time and using it often I would recommend putting flashing a cross the inside of the cabinet. Over time you will blast right through the wood! If you blast through the flashing just replace it. Also if you use it often the shop vac will need to be replaced often as well the sand will trash the bearings and fan. The best replacement is pricey but come from skat...
Otherwise you've got a great start there!

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

On my shop vac for the blast cabinet, I am using dry wall dust bags instead of the regular car type air filter. Probably still not as good as what is designed for a blast cabinet, but should last me awhile.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Charlie , I like your side extension , and have talked to my buddy Rick Harris who's blast cabinet I've used in the past , about doing the same thing .
I know that you'd have to get in there on occasion with a small broom to sweep the blast material back into the hopper , but that's a small trade off for being able to do longer pieces .

If you've ever stripped cub frames by hand , it would be nice to be able to put them in a blaster , theres a lot of areas on frames that are hard to get into that a blaster would make easier .

Also one of my biggest pet peeves about factor made cabinets is that most are inadequately lite and I'd have to modify mine to have a light in both front corners to improve visibility .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Joe, Yea im planing "liners for the walls.... im thinking to use hvac sheet metal, i think i have a few pieces of hvac trunk line up in the shop attic but i wont know untill i get the 2072 started because its right under the pull down steps :x For the vac i was thinking my big craftsman with a water pre filter(do these work)? I drilled my 2 inch hole in the bottom of the cabinet so i can run a piece of pipe straight down into a five gal bucket, then go out of the bucket to the vac. I am stuck on what gloves to buy, i have seen the "skat" stuff and they seem to b the only supplier for glove trim rings or mounts. Any help there would b great. I have seen people use hvac pipe take-offs but i want it to look good and not "homemade" :lol: Dave

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Jlaws wrote:Charlie , I like your side extension , and have talked to my buddy Rick Harris who's blast cabinet I've used in the past , about doing the same thing .
I know that you'd have to get in there on occasion with a small broom to sweep the blast material back into the hopper , but that's a small trade off for being able to do longer pieces .

If you've ever stripped cub frames by hand , it would be nice to be able to put them in a blaster , theres a lot of areas on frames that are hard to get into that a blaster would make easier .

Also one of my biggest pet peeves about factor made cabinets is that most are inadequately lite and I'd have to modify mine to have a light in both front corners to improve visibility .
I made a "rake" using some scrap aluminum tubing and a piece of angle. I can remove the extension and have a plate to go in its place. At first I had one light in the left hand corner, but it created too much shadow, so I got a smaller dimension flood light and put it in the right hand corner near the top. I think it will be out of the way, time will tell.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Are you going to go with a flat bottom instead of a tapered one?
I purchased all my accessories from TP Tools. Try to get all you need in one order. I think their shipping is high!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

First pic is just door/lid reinforcement before i cut it for the 1/4 inch glass. Im going to try to make this cabinet a siphon feed blaster so i wanted the bottom to act as the hopper. Found some 18 yr old paint on the shelf, i wanted to paint the bottom before install. Yea Charlie TP Tools does have alot of nice stuff and may get there gloves and glove collars, but do not like there shiping at $10
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (1020.98 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 14274 times
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 14274 times
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 14274 times
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 14274 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Went shopping for some suppies. I found this plumbing pipe coupling fits both shop vac hose and 2 inch pvc, $4 and now i have two nice hose clamps for the next sump pump repair :lol: . I looked online for window protection film and did not see anything that i liked so im going to try this, $4 It should yield about 21 "tear-offs" . One of the biggest complaints i read is lack of light so i found these on the shop shelf, old spots that r sealed. At 150w each i hope they r not too bright 8-) or we may need a dimmer. Oh yea, i picked up 1/4 inch glass 11x25 $11. About 1/2 the price of plexi. If i wanted it tempered it would have been about 5 bucks more. Dave
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 14258 times
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 14258 times
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 14258 times

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

One of the problems with lights is they are so big and depending what you have in the blaster they will get hit moving items around. I hesitated putting one in the end where the door was just because of loading items like handle bars for my rototillers. I ended up getting a smaller bulb and so far so good. I used 1 1/2" and 2" pvc drain pipe and found a reducer that the shop vac house fits in tight enough to stay without taping or gluing it. Later I put a frame around the inlet hole for filter media to keep stuff from coming out. Seem to work fine.
IMG_5084 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5084 (Medium).JPG (68.78 KiB) Viewed 14245 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Looks nice Charlie, i was very concerned about the size of the lights also, so i removed as much as possable on the mount and tucked them up in the corners. Made up a light bar and i covered the wires with shop made wood "wire mold". Used the router table to make the glass rabbit. Then took pvc trim wood and glued up a window frame. My big question right now is what hight to set the cabinet. Maybe some of u guys with cabinets could pm me with the center of the glove holes from the floor. Im sure personal hight will play into this but just for an idea im thinking around 45 inches. I am 6'1" Thanks Dave
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 14239 times
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 14239 times
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 14239 times
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 14239 times

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

I would have installed a 4' fluorescent light on top of Plexiglas on the very top, but my air intake is there. I made a sort of hood scoop in reverse to wash air over the glass. I am not sure how well it works, but it is there and I don't want to make any more holes. The light I added is tucked into the upper left-hand corner looking in the door of the photo I posted. So far it appears to be out of the way. I sent you a pm on the glove hole height.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Looking good on the cabinet.... i built ones prob almost 20 years ago now.... still in use but it sure shows its signs of wear.

Couple things to keep in mind.... and some of this has been already said.

The shop vac will eventually destroy itself... even with a decent filter they plug up quick and will have to be cleaned very often. The ones TP sells has a filter bag with a weight in it.... when u turn it off the weight drops and the dust settles to the bottom... pretty functional. But even with that im on my second motor. The filter bag prob should have been replaced more often.

TP is the place to go for everything you need....

Be sure to get some glass protectors, if you dont you wont be able to see through the glass in a week!

EVERYTHING is subject to replacement on a regular basis... depending on use. In 15 years, Im probably on my 4th set of gloves, 3rd Vac... 2nd peice of glass... a few hundred glass protectors, dozens of light bulbs, 2nd set of light fixtures 50 or so nozzles, a few dozen valves..... its never ending!

Although this cabinet has sandblasted over a dozen cub cadets and a few full size farmalls.... and a ton of repair projects!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Used the big ole blaster today and noticed that the rust just isn't coming off like I've seen I am using the DIY black bull 80 grit glass beads and a shop vac for dust collection am I not usin the gun right or what any pointers helpful
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow Dave ! sounds like u really use your cabinet ! Thanks for tips....and info on the vac. Have u seen these water pre-filters made out of a 5 gal bucket, im setting it up for one with my suction going out the bottom straight into a bucket then the vac will pull out of the bucket ?

Lorin, i have not used glass bead yet so im not sure how it works. Maybe try something more aggressive. I would tell u what i use but it is not recomended because of the dust. I have always blasted outside and try to do it on a windy day .....and wear a mask ! Your air supply is a big part of the equation, pressure and volume. Let us know how u make out. Maybe post back in coffee shop under your tool or something, that way there is not a delay in posting. Dave

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I found it easy to install the legs by flipping the box upside down on the bench, then slide the bottom in. The bottom clean-out was installed with the 6 inches of left over piano hinge from the lid.
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 14198 times
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 14198 times
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 14198 times
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 14198 times
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 14198 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Just some odds and ends this weekend. I swiched the lights and an outlet for the vac, i had to buy the double outlet cover $1.89, everthing else i had in stock. Installed the glass and protective glass cover. The "shrinky dink" window film worked great, i just hope it holds up. I finally made it up to the shop attic and found a few sheets of hvac tin. Made some paper templates for the metal liners and got them started.
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 14199 times
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 14199 times
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 14199 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Worked on the lower shelf and the pre filter. I found out the hard way that i need a 90 on the inside of the bucket to get the water sweriling so it does not lift up into the vac hose. I only tried it with wood dust and that worked great. I have 3- 2.5 inch holes for intake, i hope that is enough. Lights really r bright 8-)
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 14180 times
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 14180 times
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 14180 times
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 14180 times

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Good build. Quality look. :beer: LFR
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Lorin. Like always.....taking longer than expected. I think i just need gloves and should b done.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I wanted to use the TP glove collars but they only had a 3/4 " glove flange and my cabinet is 1/2" thick. So i did what i do best........Improvise ! Started with a 6" pvc coupling (7 1/4" outside dia.) and split it in half on the table saw. Then cut out flanges from my favorite pvc trim wood and glued them up, no clamps needed. A little help sanding from the drill press. I will finish with a round-over bit on the router table. I think i will paint them black and hope for the best because white would look so out of place. Total cost $6.00 :D
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 14133 times
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 14133 times
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 14133 times
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 14133 times

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Very nice work! I see you are good at making do with what you have available.