Starter/Generator rebuilding advice

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Starter/Generator rebuilding advice

Post by PTWannaHave »

S/G corroded armature
S/G corroded armature
IMGP4894.JPG (677.94 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
armature housing corrosion
armature housing corrosion
IMGP4896.JPG (677.45 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
magnet
magnet
IMGP4902.JPG (666.28 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Hello all,

As you can see from the pics above, I've got some corrosion on one 'side' of the internals of the S/G... Before I proceed with changing both armature shaft bearings, I wanted to get an assessment of how good or bad the armature, matching corroded coil field, and magnets are...

Can I just wire brush the corrosion off the armature? Gently hand brush the coil field? How do my magnets look?

This S/G was not known to be working when I acquired it; the engine had been sitting outside and not run for a lengthy time. This is the 1st time I take one of these apart, and all I know for sure is that the rear bearing is dry, and the front bearing has some play in it. (The latter seems like a weak design/spec...)

Thank-you in advance,
PTWannaHave

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Starter/Generator rebuilding advice

Post by BigMike »

I would find a rebuilder and have them clean it up......they can growl it and turn the commutator at the same time.