HF Parts Washer

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: HF Parts Washer

Post by Tom Scott »

Maybe we are thinking about this differently, and that's fine, you have to do what works for you. I don't see the use of a filter on the drain. Mine will likely be several years before I drain it. The heavier sediment is just laying harmlessly in the bottom of my washer and will remain there undisturbed until I drain it. When I do drain it, I can pump much of the solvent through the wand into a clean bucket. The remaining fluid will be used to swish all that heavy stuff through the drain into a waste bucket.

The large truck filter has been installed for month's now and is showing no signs of clogging yet. By using such a large filter, I believe I have created a combination sediment bowl and filter. With a large filter, the velocity slows down inside the filter and allows heavier particles to fall to the bottom. The pump I have doesn't have enough pressure to open the filter's bypass, so I will know when it clogs eventually. I find I am now using the parts washer several times a month now for things I would have wasted spray cleaner and paper towels on, or I might have lived with it dirty. Having it full, plugged in and ready to use at all times is great.

Post some pics of the pump arrangement inside and all the connections. I am betting we can come up with a way with fittings to filter the pumped solvent. I really like knowing that everything that comes out of the nozzle is clean enough for final wash of engine and hydro parts. The oil burner filter you have would provide ok filtering, but I think the dirt holding capacity is limiting. For me the large truck filter did the trick.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Also... The label on the outside of your tank is likely where your solvent came from, "Crystal Clean Product Reuse Program" uses the good stuff, typical low-odor, high-flashpoint mineral spirits based solvent. Link: http://www.crystal-clean.com/compliance ... rogram.asp
And... I will donate my HF wand that I ended up not using if it will help, just say the word! :beer:
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...u would actually give me a part from your prescious partswasher :) Tom u r putting too much pressure on me.....i really don't want to do anything other than use it. I don't see keeping fluid in it all the time. Won't it evaporate over months of no use? If I drain it into the can each project....next time I pour it out I could pour till I see funk starting to come out then trash the rest...or pour that in a glass pickle jar and let it separate further. So much pressure for a simple parts washer... :oops: I'm about to blow!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Leave it in the parts washer and use it as Tom says. I recently emptied mine. I had used the stuff from TSC about 10 years ago. There was about 3/4" of sludge. I was able to pump out about 7 gallons of semi-clean solvonet. The rest I was able to wipe up with oil resistant rags. Other then the slow pump speed things worked out nicely.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Things overheard from the Gibson household over the years...

"Kids, remember, when you're done in the sandbox today we have to scoop it all out, strain it very carefully for anything that shouldn't be in there, then return it to the sealed containers until we plan to use it again."

"Ok, whoever used the stapler last forgot to take the staples back out and put them safely back into the staple storage box until the next big project that needs a staple."

"When I'm done using my bench grinder, I take both grinding wheels off and wrap them up and store them for safe keeping."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good grief! Keep the tool available to use!

When you are more careful and particular than me you have probably crossed a line that requires professional counseling... Where's you're nephew, I need him to pile on here while the getting's good!
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Ah man....where is the love. :cry: well.... at least I know i can count on one person. Hey Big Mike....how about u and I go out for breakfast sometime.......do u like creamed chip beef? My treat!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Mmmmm schitt on a shingle? I'd love to but i would have to fill the tires of the truck with fresh filtered air and pastuerize the engine oil :D

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

:cry: Tom stuck the knife in.....and Mike...U TURNED IT! :cry:
I need a new forum!.....
..... where's Vinny....him and I r definitely on the same page!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh..and Mike ...don't expect anymore Magnum updates! "No more soup for you!" :twisted:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

The way you guys are going about these parts washers you would think you run leapin sheep......my Cubs don't need that much work :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Let's just go back to "pasteurized oil", that was fabulous! Dave would definitely buy some!

I wish mine needed less work... I went for about two years where everything was fine, but have been into a run of repairs lately. And there are cars and other equipment to work on to...
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Come on....i would not buy over priced oil. u guys r forgetting one thing.....I'm also cheap! So Mike u should have taken me up on that breakfast.... :lol:
Back to the main topic...i think I will use Joe's filter methods. Let the sludge settle to the bottom and try not to disturb it too much. I will try leaving it filled....but if it evaporates.... someone is going to pay. I did a test of my fluid and it is a non smelly solvent type. In my travels I'll pick up another 5 gal at tractor supply.
I did see some sort of a filter mat for the bottom but they were like crazy expensive.

ExDodge
First and Last Name: Daniel Gibson

Post by ExDodge »

Tom...the way i see it, Dave does not have a problem...he did not build an overly elaborate filter system for something as simple as a parts washer!

Things seen at the Tom Scott house:

Light switch:

Door lock:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Touche', that's not bad! :beer:

Now I have to wonder what Uncle Dave either promised or threatened you with to turn on me! :lol:

Well, just had the 1872 carb start dumping fuel, so I will be glad to have the parts washer up and ready to use, and with fluid clean enough for surgery! 8-)

I could see not filtering it for general use, but my first job was for the hydro, they need even the smallest of particles washed away. I think we have Dave swayed to keeping the fluid in and available for use at all times, so that is the most important. If it's not up and ready to use, it will rarely get used.
<><

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Tom Scott wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 am
Let's just go back to "pasteurized oil", that was fabulous! Dave would definitely buy some!

I wish mine needed less work... I went for about two years where everything was fine, but have been into a run of repairs lately. And there are cars and other equipment to work on to...

Guys, I know it's a bit late, but homogenized oil would be more stable. Running hot will pasteurize it every run!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Wow, definitely dredging up some old banter here!  That was a fun thread, I had to reread it to remember the "pasteurized oil" joke by BM, that was gold!

On the serious side, I'm still thrilled with my "overly elaborate project".  After all these years, no noticeable evaporation and it's always available to use.  I use it so much more than I ever thought I would with it always available.  I'm big into cycling (mountain biking in particular) and it's great to just be able to throw grimy sprockets and chains and anything else needed into the parts washer.  No regrets.
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

:lol: I saw this thread pop up and I was like " Tom is still at it.... doing modifications to the parts washer ". Yeah that was fun...and I'm still draining the parts washer. It's amazing how the dirt settles out while stored in the jugs.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

:lol:
He said jugs! :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ha!  Hi BM, nice to see you kicking about!  dag, I'm not so sure about!  Lol

dag, I'm proof that draining is a waste of time.  Since day one of this thread I've not had to add fluid.  Make sure you unscrew all your light bulbs before you go to bed each night, store them neatly...  :lol:
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Big Mike.....meet me outside by the monkey bars at recess! I have an idea how to pick on that nerdy kid with the two first names. ;)

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

"Make sure you unscrew all your light bulbs before you go to bed each night, store them neatly..."
Why would Dag have light bulbs? I was under the impression that he lived where there wernt lectric yet :lol:

BigMike aint getting in no skirmishes with you two ruffians!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

The "monkey bar" reference is great!  Even as an old man, that reference just takes you right back to elementary school.   :beer:
<><

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Tom Scott wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:37 pm
The "monkey bar" reference is great!  Even as an old man, that reference just takes you right back to elementary school……a place that Dag never graduated from. :beer:

Fixed it for you Tom. :D :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Well, "BM not getting into any skirmishes" didn't last long!   :lol:

We're terrible... this was nearly a semi-useful thread about a parts washer and it devolved into our typical clown show!  But, the fun is too hard to resist.
<><

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Yes, Tom it is too fun to resist.
I kind of miss the golden days.
Cubrick, AW, Jess, Skott, Vince…..where have they all gone?

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

From what I've heard, many forums got supplanted by Facebook.  But I refuse to go there, so I'll just banter here with the handful that are left.  I check for new posts every day, and it's always nice to see one of you guys posting.  Ken keeps us going with the ham radios lately, since his driveway didn't offer the excitement it does most winters!
<><

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I too, miss the IH Registry days and the Registry plow days.  They were great times.  Sometimes I reminisce by looking at the old IH Registry on the Way Back Machine.
Sorry to say I have gone the fb way.  No cub pages, just Rototiller and vintage engines and walk behind garden tractors.  GT Talk used to be a great forum for all kinds of garden tractors, but now it is not very active.  The only one that seems fairly active yet is Smokstak.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

I refuse to join Fartbook. Or Facebook. Whatever you want to call it

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

D2, I have the same attitude about FB, but I also won't criticize anyone that does use it.  Everyone needs to do what works for them.

I will say that apparently FB Marketplace has taken over for buying/selling, Craigslist is crap now.  I'm thinking I'll be using my wife's FB account to scope out things to buy!
<><