Original Axle seals tool

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
wdeturck

Original Axle seals tool

Post by wdeturck »

I had bad axle on My Original Alice.I took the seal out of the left side and went to my local bearing dealer and he found a match for $4.50 so I bought 6(new on the right). I got them yesterday and they are different than the NOS ones I took out(NOS on the left. The seal number is Timkin 470041
11-13-10 Seals.JPG
The last time I did the seals I had NOS ones and the transmission and wheels were off the frame. I had NOS seals to replace those and I just pulled one wheel off and let the transmission sit on the other wheel. It was easy to get the seals back just tapping with a hammer.
I was just using my hammer on the new seals but it was hard to hit the seal and get it back in with the hammer and the tractor on a jack. I didn't like the way the seal was warping as I drove it back in. If it leaks I will replace it.
11-13-10 Seal instaler off.JPG
I made this tool to install the flimsier seals. It's a 1/2" plate with 2 holes, some 3/8" threaded rod and a couple of nuts and a reducer pipe that is the same size as the seal. The holes are the dimension of the bolts that holds the axle housings on.
11-13-10 Seal instaler.JPG
Here it is installing the seal using a wrench and tapping lightly with the hammer.