throttle shaft

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
timd
First and Last Name: Tim Deese

throttle shaft

Post by timd »

hey everyone i need to replace the throttle shaft on a model n carb does anyone have any good how to's? that will help me along the way.

wdeturck

Re: throttle shaft

Post by wdeturck »

Here is what is used on the 10, 12, 14 and 16 HP Kohlers. I'm not sure what a model n is. I checked on these Hilman 58087-A bushings and they were still available at $ .80 each.
58087 carb bushing hillman.jpg
I found some nylon bushing from Hillman that I'm making a tool for to use on the 7 & 8 HP carbs that have a 7/32" throttle shaft. I don't have 7 HP carb to rebuild so I can't show any pictures. Will add later

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Tim,I use brass rod from the hardware store.I use a chucking reamer to get the hole to size and reuse the throttle plate.
All this is based on having access to a mill.

timd
First and Last Name: Tim Deese

Post by timd »

thanks everybody. mr deturck i should have said it was a carter model n carb.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I never worked on the Carter Carbs but if it got a 1/4" throttle shaft those bushings might work.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

A Carter N is a Kohler #26 carb.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site