de-rusting a 7 HP gas tank.

Post your custom tools or how to information here (caption your photo's) and we'll move any that are good to archive, into the How To section of the manuals.
Forum rules
This section is reserved for semi detailed posts describing how you made a custom tool, or a detailed procedure for repairing a certain assembly of a tractor. Pictures are pretty much required
Posts in this section now have to be approved before they become visible.
If your looking for help repairing something please post in the shooting the breeze or the forum that pertains to your question.
wdeturck

de-rusting a 7 HP gas tank.

Post by wdeturck »

I have wanted to try this for a while. The gas tank that I got to replace on my test engine that got lost in the fire.
I got a pill bottle that the threads on the cap just went in the filler neck and cut the bottom off. I cut one of my carbon electrodes to just fit the opening of the pill bottle and made it go close to the bottom. I filled the gas tank up with a solution o TSP which is 3 times as expensive as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I got the solution just right for it to draw 8 amps with my batter charger. I'm going to try to see what it dose after 48 hours.
De-Rusting tank on Test engine. Click on picture for better view and even better click on +
De-Rusting tank on Test engine. Click on picture for better view and even better click on +
8 Amp Charger
8 Amp Charger
I had the leads correct on the tank but drew them wrong and had to correct that on the photo

ih61guy
First and Last Name: Rodney Smith

Re: de-rusting a 7 HP gas tank.

Post by ih61guy »

:idea: wdeturck,
I had good results once cleaning rust from a farmall 200 tank with toilet bowl cleaner.I told my brother-in -law who restores farmalls about it. As far as I know he still uses it
.I used the liquid,but i,m surethe granular would work also.Hope you can get it clean.
ih61guy

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I also clean these small tanks with soapy water and a bunch of 5/16'' Nuts and tie the tank on my wheel and cut the grass. This will work on the tanks with baffles as the nuts can get on the other side of the baffle. I also heard Oven cleaner is good.

I had the 8 amp charger on till 11:00 PM and it had kicked the Circuit Breaker so I put my larger charger on 40 amps and had it on there till this morning and the tank was 115 *. I replaced the lost fluid with water and the amps is now running at 5. I'm going to add TSP and try to get back up to 7 amps for the next 24 hours.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

After about 30 hrs of derusting the old carbon rod I was using started to get like the steel and a lot of crud on it and the amperage went way down. I dumped the fluid out and rinsed it with hot water. The place where the rust spots were was now all black like it;s suppose to be. I dried the tank using my heat gun and left it sit upside down over night. I mounted the tank and put some gas in it and the Test Engine started right up on the Magneto I also have on it. I'm having trouble with the Magneto from weak spark(I had an in line tester on it and was very weak compared to the coil ignition). I have a clear plastic hose on for a gas line and seen no signs of rust or the carbon that flaked off.

I don't think this will work on the larger tanks that have baffles in them. Eric had shown on the old forum how to unsolder those tanks and clean them and resolder them.

powerup
First and Last Name: Bruce Ruhman

Post by powerup »

I recently read somewhere a great method to derust gas tanks. Put some medium sized gravel in the tank, put lid on Tight, then wrap the tank with old towel/ rug or whatever you have. Duct tape it around it so it wont come off tank and put it in old clothes dryer , without the heat . Let her tumble for about 20 min. , and open her up. Looks like brand new inside. I tryed it and it sure worked well!

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Not a good idea :idea: to put gravel in a Cub Cadet tank. The larger ones have a partition and if the gravel get over in there you won't get it out. I use small steel nuts and even the small tanks it hard to get the nuts out without a magnet. I strap mine to a wheel when I cut grass so I only get in the DOG HOUSE when I clean parts in the dishwasher. :mrgreen:

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Her is a kit that will clean it and seal it.

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restor ... oducts/12/

It's a bit pricey, but if you have a large tank this may be the way to go.

I used their paint on my mower deck and so far it has worked well.

I used RedCote on my Troybilt tiller and sealed the tank right up.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

powerup
First and Last Name: Bruce Ruhman

Cleaning gas tanks

Post by powerup »

Oops, forgot, I have only done that with my "Green Machine" gas tanks. No problem with getting the gravel out. Actually read that on WFM. But you make a very good point with the baffle. I am going to give your method a try. Sounds like it'll work fine. :beer:

scubersteve
First and Last Name: Steve Archer

Post by scubersteve »

I know it sounds scary, but the last tank I had to clean I just popped the top off an old battery and dumped the acid in. Top it off with water so it was full and let it sit for two days...clean as a whistle.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?