Cub Cadet 982 - New Owner in VA

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
JonCastellano
First and Last Name: Jonathan Castellano

Cub Cadet 982 - New Owner in VA

Post by JonCastellano »

Name is Jonathan, located in Lovettsville Virginia. Recently picked up an IH Cub Cadet 982, looks like it was built in November 1980. One owner, meticulously maintained by the looks and sound of engine. Came with 4 sets of extra belts and lube. I have hooked up the belly mower (50c) and besides being out of adjustment all seems to be okay. I just cannot believe that no one in this area saw an interest in this Cub!

Don't really put a lot of trust in dealers. Curious if there was anybody in the area, or some one that you all know, that could come and take a look at it. Would rather support those who genuinely care for these tractors. Wanting some guidance in maintaining this machine so that I can leave it to my kids some day. I welcome any input from you all.

Cub's new property is 6.5 acres of old pasture, a couple treelines. We have a garden, system of swales and berms for passive irrigation, and a hundred fruit/nut trees planted this spring to start a permaculture designed regenerative farm. Eventually looking for attachments like the 3 point hitch, plow, and bush hog (could you bush hog with the 982?). If anything comes up in the area I would be interested in taking a look.

Thanks!!
Jon
cub3.JPG
cub3.JPG (4.68 MiB) Viewed 1921 times
cub1.JPG
cub1.JPG (3.86 MiB) Viewed 1921 times
cub2.JPG
cub2.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 1921 times
cub4.JPG
cub4.JPG (4.43 MiB) Viewed 1921 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Cub Cadet 982 - New Owner in VA

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Jon. That looks like one sweet ride! Cub made a rear bushhog type mower but u do not see them very offten. Good luck with it :beer: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Cub Cadet 982 - New Owner in VA

Post by SWilliams »

Welcome aboard Jon. 982s are a terrible machine, plagued with all kinds of problems. BUT I would be willing to make a sacrifice and buy that one so it doesn't trouble you any more :mrgreen:

Actually they are a great machine. The only real catch is the engine. They are a good engine but the parts are gold plated if you need them.

The owners manual and service manuals are both in the documents section. Plus just ask questions here.

Three points are somewhat hard to find BUT they are out there. The rear PTO kit is also a difficult find. Post in the wanting section and someone might have them for sale.

Attachment wise there were a lot of different items made, just may be hard to find now. Basically you need category 0 implements. There were a couple brush hogs made BUT the rear PTO design can be an issue because of the way the shaft that runs it was made. They can break kind of easy so items like a bush hog with high shock loads would be better to avoid.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."