Newbie with a 123

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Newbie with a 123

Post by Clank »

Hi folks! Just introducing myself. My brother collects garden tractors and after a lot of arm twisting I got looking into the hobby and now I'm hooked.
I have a 1967 123 that I'm in the process of restoring. I've got a bunch of stories and pics that I will be posting over the course of the next few months, that I hope you will enjoy. In the meantime, here's a photo.
IMG_20210502_145243276_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210502_145243276_HDR.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 2332 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Newbie with a 123

Post by Tom Scott »

Mike - Welcome! That's a nice looking 123! Post any projects and stories about it in the "Cub Cadets and Shooting the Breeze" topic, that is the IH machine area.

Again, Welcome!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Welcome mike!
I’m a fan of those old “snow tires”! Keep them going!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah welcome! Tractor does look great... and like Joe said..that tire combo is still the best looking in my opinion. Looking forward to more.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Post by Clank »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :beer:
I like those tires too. Unfortunately they're badly weathered, so much so that they all have cords breaking out.
If I find a set in good shape, I may stick with them, but 6 months ago I got a crazy deal on brand new Carlisles directly from Cub Cadet Canada for under $70 each. They're over $300 today! Insanely good luck!
So the plan for the moment is to also get some Carlisle ribbed tires for the front (my perfectionism compels me, lol) and sandblast and paint all the rims.
I also have a set of ribbed ag tires on a set of other rims for doing ground engaging work, but that's for another topic.
Some more info about me. Other tractors I like and would consider owning: 1st or 2nd generation Sears Suburban, Allis HB,700, and 900 series hydros, and my unicorn, GE Elec-Trak. (Excuse me while I wipe the saliva off me keyboard ;) )
I'm a fan of good, or at least interesting, industrial design, and the 123 Cadet ticks so many boxes: a most elegant, robust design, with great parts availability, high functionality (the hydro and hyd. lift are fab, especially in my small yard), and with a compelling effort to artistic effect. So far I've blown snow, graded gravel and dirt, pulled trees and cement pilings, moved soil and mulch. I'm also looking for a moldboard plow and a chipper shredder at some point.
I restore a lot of things (old cars, motorcycles, radios) and I'm really enjoying the garden tractor hobby. It's so so much more than what I expected, and I look forward to sharing more of my stories. From reading various forums, I get the impression that it attracts some of the nicest people too. Thanks again!