QL engine cradle upgrade

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
n8wvp
First and Last Name: Steve Fox

QL engine cradle upgrade

Post by n8wvp »

Hello All,

On 05/08/2012 I down loaded a file for the upgrade to the cradle by welding a piece of 1/8" x 1&1/2" x 8 & 1/2" flat stock between the two mounts.

When you guys did this did you bolt the side bars to the rubber motor mounts and then clamp the flat stock in place and weld? That is what I did and I

ended up having to slot the bolt holes. Now I used the aftermarket replacement rubbers and I was wondering if there was enough height difference to

make the mismatch. This was the first one I did and in hindsight while I had the engine hanging I wish I had bolted the side bars to the oil pan and then

welded the flat stock in place. I assumed (Yeah and what did dad tell us how many times happens when you assume) that the rubber mounts once tighten

would line up the holes.

Steve

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: QL engine cradle upgrade

Post by Jlaws »

Steve , I've only done one QL cradle mod on a 1450 , so I'm no expert .
But I fastened the rails to a spare oil pan that I had , then welded the brace in . I figured that the rubber isomount hole alignment would be a little more forgiving than the non moveable oil pan mounting holes . ;)
I guess the ideal setup would be to have a spare Ql frame and oil pan for welding up the cradle mod , especially if your changing over from the rubber isomounts to solid steel mounts .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I do them the same as Jess does.
I also make a piece to tie the rails under the fan housing.Once that's done even Vince would like a Quiet Line(in one piece!)

bkw3614
First and Last Name: Brian Wittman

Post by bkw3614 »

I bought a scrap oil pan when I did my modification, and told the welding shop that the placement of everything was critical when they welded in the spacer bar. I used OEM ISO mounts and everything lined up perfectly. I had to move the motor very little when threading up the bolts to put everything back together. When I reset the mounts and engine, I used new grade 8 bolts from Caterpillar. I like CAT bolts because the bolt head is a little thicker than a standard bolt. I also used CAT roll pins because of their strength over hardware store pins. I really don't see a way to bolt the cradle to the engine then set the complete unit in the tractor. I set the cradle in the tractor first and then put in the engine. I took the front axle off to get to the front engine mounting bolt holes.

I am still feeling a lot of vibration, so I have to look into the situation a little more, but overall, I think it was a worthy upgrade. It looks like the mounts can be changed without pulling the engine.