New Guy from ON

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
IH782
First and Last Name: Frank Raso

New Guy from ON

Post by IH782 »

Hello Everyone.

I've a lurker for a few years now and finally decided to become a member this summer. I am also active on the Farmall Cub forum where I discussed repowering my 782 Cub Cadet with a SEW Honda kit back in 2006. I got my tractor from a local farm equipment dealer as a package that included a 50A mower deck, a H42 snow thrower, and a tiller. I've since upgraded to a 54" mower from a later model CC, which I bought from Ray Weaver here.

Just within the past few weeks, I've replaced the front rag joint and pilot bushing assembly on my tractor (most likely) because I didn't correctly align everything during the engine replacement. Live and learn. I'm looking forward to being an active member here.
Honda-powered 782
Honda-powered 782
IMG_1559 (Medium).JPG (93.44 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Frank
Last edited by IH782 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: New Guy from ON

Post by stevet »

Welcome to the forum and glad to see you posting! I love the idea of the Honda powered 782, but doesn't look like they make that conversion anymore, not to mention I don't have the funds to do it now anyway! Other than the driveshaft issue, how has the rest of the set up worked for you? I'd also like to see some more pics of the set up if you have any.

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Welcome, from the Ottawa Valley...

Cheers,
PTWannaHave

IH782

Post by IH782 »

I like the Honda engine and SEW put together a good kit except for the motor adapter plate being a bit low in the front. Other posts I've started on the Farmall forum are:

Repowering a Cub Cadet 782 with a Honda Engine
Replacement Mower Decks for a 782
Snow Tires
Model 782 - Rag Joint
Model 782 - Electric PTO Clutch

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Thanks for the post with all of the info, looks like a fairly easy conversion, minus a couple of little issues!

Just out of curiosity, what did you wind up doing as far as tires and plowing snow? I have always run ags with no chains on my 82 series tractors, but I also run A LOT of weight! I have a 55 lb weight, a CC 26 lb weight, and filled tires on both of my current set ups. On my older tractors, I even ran weights on the inside as long as they didn't have external brakes.

Either way, great write ups!

IH782

Post by IH782 »

Other than the drive shaft alignment and the leaking drain plug, I'm pretty happy with the Honda engine.

As for the snow tires, I decided to continue using the original turf tires (Goodyear Terra-Turf Softrac) with chains for my stone driveway for the time-being but using a shovel to clear the concrete pad in front of the garage. We haven't gotten a lot of snow here lately and I could use the exercise. I found that my ag tires (Carlisle Super Lugs) were too hard to get any traction on concrete. Last winter, I didn't even mount the snow thrower but kept it right beside the tractor so I could easily assemble it in case we got more snow than I could shovel.

I was thinking about having a local machine shop make an adapter for me to mount 13" automotive rims in place of my 12s and using loaded P175/70R13 or P155/80R13 winter tires. It would probably be easier to find some old 14" Ford or LBP Mopar rims and use P185/60R14 tires instead. Either way, I would have to find a way to add more weight to automotive rims. For what this would likely cost, I think I could buy a used walk-behind snow blower much cheaper.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

IH782 wrote: For what this would likely cost, I think I could buy a used walk-behind snow blower much cheaper.
Exactly, for what a decent walk behind costs you can buy decent Cub Cadet and a thrower. That 1811 I purchased this spring has one job to do and that is to throw snow.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find