shifting fork replacement

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
oldiron105
First and Last Name: Stacy Leis

shifting fork replacement

Post by oldiron105 »

Hi I am new to cub cadet originals. I am 14 years old .My cub cadet has both of the shifting forks broke. Both of the forks need to be replaced. How do I get the gear of the front of the transmission to remove the shifting rails. or how do I hold the gear to get the gear of the transmission ?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: shifting fork replacement

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome ! If u r 14 then u know how to post pictures. Lets see some. Glad u joined! Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

oldiron105

Post by oldiron105 »

Hello everyone my name is Stacy. the 14 year old boy that asked the question about the shifter forks is my cousins boy he is the owner of the cub cadet original this is our first attempt at restoring a garden tractor the serial number is 57209 I think its a 1960 but I'm not sure any info on the cub could be very much appreciated I'm trying to figure out how I can hold the gear so I can get bolt loose so then I can pull the gear off so the rails can slide forward so I can replace the shifting forks thank you Stacy
Attachments
cub cadet original
cub cadet original
PART_1434907967229.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 5368 times

dgrapes59
First and Last Name: David Grapes

Post by dgrapes59 »

I believe you will need to remove the reduction gear housing, unbolt the forks and slide the rods back (comes out where the reduction housing bolts up), slide the rods slowly, there is a poppet ball with a spring under it, be careful, it will fly out if you don't put your finger over it. The service manual shows this (Original Chassis manual available in the "Documents and Manuals" section.

Serial # 57209 would be May of 1963, regular production didn't start until 1961 :wink:

Take your time, surf some manuals and have fun working on it,

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Put the trans in 2 gears at the same time... like 1st and 2nd..... or jam a peice of wood between the gears somehow.... or use an impact wrench
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

oldiron105

Post by oldiron105 »

Hi, everyone I'm working the cub cadet original and I'm wondering how to hold down the spring and ball so I can get the shifting rod above the spring and ball. :?:

jmitchell
First and Last Name: John Mitchell

Post by jmitchell »

Take the top transmission cover off..Loosen the set bolt at the end of the shift rod and slide it back.Catch the dentent ball and spring. Pay attention to the order in which they come out of the hole..The rod will slide back into the rear of the transaxle just enough to allow you to loosen the shift fork on the shift rod and then slide it off the forward end of the rod..Be careful and do not loose the shift detent ball and spring out of the hole in the front of the trans when you slide the shift rod back forward after you have replaced the broken shift fork...1st and reverse on the right hand shiftrod. 2nd and 3rd gear on the left..East as pie..Just don't drop the detent balls and springs..
Last edited by jmitchell on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

John - Great first post, jumping in there and helping someone. Welcome to the forum!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

jmitchell
First and Last Name: John Mitchell

Post by jmitchell »

Tom Scott wrote:John - Great first post, jumping in there and helping someone. Welcome to the forum!
:beer:
Thanks Tom Scott...I saw these youngsters were asking a pretty good question....I admire that some younger folks are into these great old machines...I want to try and pass on some of what I have learned in my 60 yrs and help continue the legacy of the Great IH Cub Cadets.....

By the way..Thanks for letting me join.

Regards
John.