A New Guy from Missouri with an old Cub Cadet 102

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
TriumphMan
First and Last Name: Delbert Roller

A New Guy from Missouri with an old Cub Cadet 102

Post by TriumphMan »

Howdy fellas. Stopping in to gather lots of info on my first Cub Cadet. She's a model 102 without crawler gear and has no lights. Don't know what year yet as I've honestly not checked by using the ID tag.
Maybe someone with more experience on these models can determine just by the little info I've given what year built.
I do know they only made the 102's in '65,66 and '67, but sometimes there's early and late models that many times don't say what changes were made.

I tried to get her started today, but some parts like points/condenser/spark plug and wire need changed, and while at it, I'm also getting a new coil just to be sure I get spark and everything is new on the ignition side. Engine does turn over easy when we hooked up a fresh battery. Took out spark plug to be sure upper rings and cylinder wall wasn't dry by squirting some light oil down plug hole. Checked dipstick and was a little bit down, so a little fresh oil to top off was needed.

She's been garaged most of her life and setting in a good dry shed for last 15yrs, so there's some surface rust and the usual paint chipping from the years, but she's 100% complete(including mower deck, which I'm guessing as being 38") and she was FREE to me, as it belonged to my Mom who wanted it gone. She was gonna have it hauled off to a scrap metal yard, but I said no----it's mine.
The old gal will go nicely with my '03 Craftsman GT5000(manual trans) and my 1990 Onan 20-Performer powered Kut Kwick front 60" deck with rear steer, mowers.
Trust me, I'll have questions as I start to dig deeper. Already got lots of ignition info off the web as to parts/prices. The fun begins, but it's gonna be slow. Don't plan on restoring, but it'll be mostly a heavy maintenance rebuild and touchup. They are "Original" only once.
TriumphMan

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: A New Guy from Missouri with an old Cub Cadet 102

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome! Sounds like a nice tractor. One thing to remember....those old engines don't like muti weight oil, it will burn it pretty quick. Use straight 30 for air cooled engines. I use Kohler just cause my local shop has it on the shelf. Figure out how to post pictures.....we like pictures. Have fun. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

TriumphMan
First and Last Name: Delbert Roller

Post by TriumphMan »

Thanks Dave, I don't use multi-grade oils in flat tappet engines. I use Rotella Diesel 30wt in my older mowers as it has the zinc to keep from galling the metals.
Your right, I need to get some pics of the old gal. Can this sight retrieve pics from my PC or does it need to be from a outside host?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Ok...sounds like u r on the ball :lol:
I have never heard the diesel oil......i have lots of that.....and will have to do some looking into.
We do have a couple oil experts here.....they might roll over in their graves hearing this :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Welcome,TriumphMan. Good bunch of people here, they will become a great resource for your cub.