St Charles, IL - my Cub's a junior aircraft tug

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
195pilot
First and Last Name: Coyle Schwab

St Charles, IL - my Cub's a junior aircraft tug

Post by 195pilot »

Thanks for letting me join -

I've owned my 1971 127 for nearly 30 years. I use it as a tug to move my 1948 Cessna 195 from the ramp to its hangar. The Cub's hydrostatic transmission is perfect for gently scooting the airplane into its parking spot.

Recently I decided to tend to the slack in the steering - nearly a half turn of slop! After watching a few YouTube videos I reamed the holes and replaced the bolt on the LH spindle and disassembled, cleaned and adjusted the Ross steering box. Much better now! When I came across this website I was a bit surprised to learn of the following for Cub Cadets. It made me appreciate my aged but reliable junior tug" in a new way. I may change the engine's oil this afternoon. It's been probably ten years.... probably due! :o

Now I'm pondering whether to restore it or leave it as-is in its current patina. It's still a working tractor, if only a couple hundred feet at a time.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Re: St Charles, IL - my Cub's a junior aircraft tug

Post by ReicheP »

Coyle, welcome to the party! Any photos pulling the plane?
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

Coyle,
Welcome. You found out why these tractors are so well liked. They were made to repair, when needed. Not much today can be repaired. Most is throw away. Seems that is what the masses are happy with.
Yes, a photo of your Cub in action would be appreciated.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

R u telling me there is oil in there to change?.....I just keep adding. I figured it gets a full change about every other year..... :lol: welcome! My first Cub was and still is a 127. I figured mine is a 1970... Probably cause that's what I want it to b, dag was born along with his Cub. Pics would b great. Tom S. can help if u don't know how :roll:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.