Catching the Cub Bug

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
erick
First and Last Name: Erick Feucht

Catching the Cub Bug

Post by erick »

This is my first post to the forum. I got infected by the Cub bug when my father-in-law gave me his old 71. That was back in the eighties. I used it to mow the lawn for a few years then let in languish behind the barn when I was given an newer lawn tractor. After going through a couple of new tractors I was frustrated by their lack of longevity and durability when facing my rocky old New England acres. I spent this summer looking for a good used tractor and my local power equipment repair shop left me discouraged, saying that if they are over five years old they aren't worth buying.

I'm a musician and I was invited to perform at a tractor show at Zagray Farm in Colchester, CT (USA) this past October (where they have a wonderful tractor meet a couple times a year). I was thinking about my search for a tractor when I saw an old Cub Cadet roll by, driven by a father with his young son on his lap. That's when I remembered the 71 that was tarped out behind the barn. I asked Don, my friend in the music booth, who I should talk to about restoring the 71 and he sent me over to Joe Motuzick's booth. We talked for a while and it became clear that this would be a good way to go. I just would have to dig the thing out of the brambles and clean her up. I put together a little YouTube of the process.

(Music: Woodchoppers Reel, a French Canadian fiddle tune...on a sweet Collins mandolin)

Well, 10-15 years under a tarp would be tough on anything, but when I dug her out and filled the tires with air she rolled right out. All of the essential parts were moving and my hopes were high. When I threw a new battery on her and tried to crank it I got nothing, not even a spark when I connected the battery terminals. After cleaning the ignition cylinder connectors and the safety switch connectors I was able to get a good strong crank. After cleaning and rebuilding the carb and getting a new plug she started right up. Now I have to get the clutch unstuck. That will be a bigger project but I'll give it a go this winter. I spent a day clearing out a shed on the end of one of the barns and set up a shop for the 71.

(Music by my band, The Wool Hats String Band, "Old Silo")

I spent another day cleaning wood out of the tractor shed out behind the big barn so that i could make room to store the tractors. That's not a typo - I'm in the process of helping my elderly in-laws clean up their house and I was thrilled to be told that they no longer needed the two Cub Cadets in the garage - an original and a Hydrostatic from the 70's, both in much better condition than my 71. I'll be moving them to the tractor shed soon. Then I'll really need the workshop. I'm glad to have Joe only a half hour drive away so that I can give him the projects I'm too busy (or unskilled) to work on.

I'll be posting updates, questions and the periodic romantic shot of the old tractors on my old farm.
Erick

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Catching the Cub Bug

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome! Nice story! Is that u singing? Very cool sound. Gordon Lightfoot ..ish. :)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

erick

Post by erick »

That's the guitar player, Matt singing. The song is by the other guitar player, Ryan. I'm just the humble fiddler.
Erick

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Nice to see you posting! Keep up the good work ! Like your emails a nice discrptive post :-)

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the start of your collection.
You're lucky to have Joe close by for advice on these tractors.
He's a very knowledgeable guy.
Official Member SCCG

erick

Post by erick »

Here's that father/son drive by I referred to in the original post.

Joe's booth is at the top of the rise...right under the arrow on the YouTube thumbnail. He was showing a brush hog attachment that looked useful for me to clear the meadow on the hilltop behind my barn. When he told me it was one of three known to exist I didn't ask the price. :D
Erick

erick

Post by erick »

Check out the custom 124 snow blower I just posted in the Custom Corner...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7384
Erick

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

That “100” is fourm modorator dave C and his son. It’s realy a 149d custom rig he made a few years back I think every part was modified in one way or another to make it happen!

erick

Post by erick »

JMotuzick wrote:That “100” is fourm modorator dave C and his son. It’s realy a 149d custom rig he made a few years back I think every part was modified in one way or another to make it happen!
That's cool. It's one big happy family here, I see.
Erick