Trying to look under the hood...

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
Fairfield
First and Last Name: Peter Fairfield

Trying to look under the hood...

Post by Fairfield »

Hi Cub fans, I’m a newbie, I easily admit it. You’ll know by the question comin up.
From Alberta. I wanted a project, so I have one now. I bought a 1450 at an auction.
I’ve looked for levers or latches to release the hood. Is this some kind of membership?
How the heck do you get the hood open?!?

Give me break please, thank you. Pete. :)
Take it easy, Pete. :thumbsup:

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Trying to look under the hood...

Post by JMotuzick »

Welcome!
No latches on a 1450, just pull up! There is a spring steel latch of sorts at the back of the hood under the dash. So pull up at the back!

Fairfield

Post by Fairfield »

Hey J, thxs for the response, but... I tried to pull on the crack between the back of the hood and the pedestal dashboard. It won’t budge and I don’t wanna wreck anything. I stuck a jimmy in there thinking maybe there’s a latch (like on trucks, etc), but didn’t hit anything. Huh.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Hey welcome. Yeah it's kinda like a "bent metal pressure bump thing". If this sat outside for a while it could be rust holding it. I would think if you stand next to the tractor grab both sides of the hood back by the dash and give a firm tug it should pop. If not maybe spray some wd in two spots. I will give a couple pics.
Dead center in back spray some lube
Dead center in back spray some lube
Cub-Cadet-Quiet-Line-Hood-Latch-800-1200.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Lube Across the front hinge in the crack at front
Lube Across the front hinge in the crack at front
hqdefault.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

It may be fouled up and bound up tight... if you happen to be fortunate enough to have no engine side-covers on, you could reach in and loosen up the base of the front grille casting (four 9/16" hex bolts where cast iron grille base meets frame) and it'll allow some slack...

The piano-hinge shown above DOES have a tendancy to become unhinging... so a good bath of pressurized dinosaur urine is a necessary start.

And if you DO have side-covers on... it's been a while... IIRC The grille insert is held in by spring hooks from the back, if you visually locate them, I THINK you could hook the springs with your wife's garden weeder tool:

Push them inward, twist 'em sideways enough for the hook to clear, then the plastic insert should drop out... that'd give you access to unbolt the grill casting and lift hood, nosepiece (the upper casting half) and hood away.

Guys, it's been a mule's age since I had a 'stock enough' frontend to know if I got that right... did I tell him right?

BTW Pete... if you don't have a wife, you're S.O.L... Girlfriends don't have 'weeder tools'. :lol:
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Fairfield

Post by Fairfield »

I figured it out. I got brazen, I got my fingers in the crack (no jokes, pls :) between the pedestal and the hood and yanked it open. No biggie, thxs my cubbie friends. BTW, Dave, I’ve got a gf, she’s stuck around for 30+ yrs. She’s a good assistant. Cheers.
Where do I post some attachments, etc, I’m gonna part with? Thxs.