Newb alert

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
JustinV
First and Last Name: Justin Vasquez

Newb alert

Post by JustinV »

Hi everyone, I'm Justin.

I don't know if my "Cubs" count...

I have a 2011 (maybe 2012) SLTX 1054 and a AGS 2160, year unknown. Both run and mow, although the 2160 needs the deck leveled.

The 2160 is actually the reason that I joined up. I picked it up as a tinker project. I got it for very little money as the previous owner couldn't figure why it wouldn't start. It was a bad negative connection at the battery. I literally had it running 30 seconds after I unloaded it in the drive way. I haven't read too many good things about the AGS drive system, and honestly don't care too much for it having used it a few times.

I don't really know what to do with it. The only thing wrong with it at the moment is the headlight assembly is missing, which seems common for that era. I've already put plugs in it and bought a new set of blades for it. Gonna do an oil change and put a fuel filter in it soon, although both seem recent. The previous owner put a new battery in it less than a month ago.

Just kinda feel blah about it.

I am also frustrated with the Cub Cadet (MTD) factory website. I figured they would have more info available than they do. I tried to download a manual from them, and the Model # and Serial # aren't even recognized...

The SLTX 1054 does its job well though.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Newb alert

Post by Tom Scott »

Justin, Welcome!

The AGS 2160, I'd have to say move that along. From what I remember, it's a "backwards clutch" system. You have to fully depress the pedal to get full engagement of the clutch. Unfortunately, human nature was to not push the pedal down all the way and/or to use it as a speed control, allowing the clutch to slip excessively in the process. I'd make it presentable and sell it.

I don't know much about the SLTX 1054, but I suspect it's a more reliable choice than the AGS 2160.

Our site generally focuses on the older and heavier duty stuff. Obviously not all the older stuff is heavier duty, Cub made cheap lawn tractors for years. So, you'll see mostly garden tractor models discussed here, not as many of the lawn tractors.

Hang out, read a bit, and maybe you'll find what you want to chase down once you jet the AGS 2160!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Cyclops1862
First and Last Name: Jay Fetters

Re: Newb alert

Post by Cyclops1862 »

Welcome aboard!
Tom is absolutely correct on the ags. The parts to fix the clutch are no longer available through mtd, but if you're handy and willing, anything can be fixed with patience. However, since it's working, I'd move it along to is next owner as they aren't known to be a dependable unit, due to the problem with speed control highlighted again, by Tom. I'd then use that $ and buy a cub garden tractor built by IH. They truly are comparable to a modern sub compact tractor in their capabilities.