New guy lookin 4 help! SE Mich/NW Oh.

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
deathbypsi
First and Last Name: brian rasey

New guy lookin 4 help! SE Mich/NW Oh.

Post by deathbypsi »

Hello, Name is Brian {38} and I am from Temperance Mi which is right on the Mi/Oh boarder outside Toledo Oh. I joined up here tryin to find info and help on two new projects I have started.

Last year I bought my fathers house and in the deal came two tractors.Now my father isnt a collector by any means,he just ran across a couple tractors over the years and bought them because he thought they were neat. Best he can tell me is one is a 1954 farmall cub and the other is a 1970 Lowboy.I know even less than my dad about them but what I do know is they both have been sitting under tarps for around 10+ years.They both worked at some point and I have used both years ago but they developed problems one at a time and were parked and tarped over years ago.

Well now I want to get both fixed and keep one and sell the other. Me and my new wife are bringing her horses to my land and I guess she is turning me into a farmer/cowboy and she says every good cowboy has to have a good tractor!

I have no idea where to start with these or where to find parts and info so thats why Im here. Before you get all concerned please remember I am a serious car/truck guy.I build motors,trans,rear ends,wiring,paint and weld.I am a big drag racer with many cars under my belt and I am currently building a 1986 Mustang SVO{2.3 turbo} and a 1988 Ranger{850hp turbo v8} to race and me and the wife are big off roaders with my 90 Bronco2 and her Jeep....so I do know how to turn a wrench!

Here is what Im workin with...

Any help you guys can give I would be greatful for!!

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: New guy lookin 4 help! SE Mich/NW Oh.

Post by J Hayes »

Welcome Brian ,

Looks like a couple good restorable projects.
maybe in the process of getting them going you may decide to keep both. or you'll kick your own butt later. :lol:

You will find lots of info here to help you , and a great group of guys .
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Brian,
Welcome to the forum. We have some guys here who play with both tractors that you have.
Me, I would keep the Cub. The Lo-Boy has some expensive PTO issues at times.
Also the Cub will have more ground engaging options.
I had a 54 and liked it a lot.
We have a topic for Farmall stuff here:
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum ... m.php?f=12

Here is a great site dedicated to the Cub:
http://www.farmallcub.com/
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

deathbypsi

Post by deathbypsi »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Can you guys tell me how to go about confirming model and years on these? I did find a local parts guy but you know the old saying "wrong info will get you wrong parts everytime"

deathbypsi

Post by deathbypsi »

I spent 3 hours changing oil and filter,plug,cleaned cap and rotor then hit it with some starter fluid and she fired right over!

It wouldnt run without spraying it so I pulled the carb to find its pretty much junk.Choke rusted open,main gasket falling apart,needle and seat are rusted shut and the float is split open.

tlaroy
First and Last Name: Timothy LaRoy

Post by tlaroy »

Brian, You can get parts at Carlton Farm Supply, Carlton, MI IH dealer about 5 miles north of Monroe.
47 FCub, 71,102,104,105,106,125, 682,1211,1811,2-1872,2072

deathbypsi

Post by deathbypsi »

Thank you Tim,I will look them up. I also ran into a guy who told me about Steiner Tractor Parts...not sure where he at but its a start.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Brain,
With tractors you normally don't need to know the year like you do with cars. Sometimes you do need the serial number to get the right parts.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray