982 forward/reverse troubles

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

982 forward/reverse troubles

Post by Mayor »

I firedup the 982 yesterday and started too move forwards.....it is whining more than usual and was jerky moving forward......I drove it across the yard and smothed right out....so I put it back on the driveway and hooked up the tiller too the 3 pt., it wouldnt hardly lift the tiller...still whining. So I lifted the tiller by hand and it went right up with the aid of the tractor lift. Once up...it holds the load fine!. Now then, I wanted too move the tiller too storage so I moved forward...everything OK!. Drove around the back of the house and backed up....went too move forward and got a gear to gear clunking/grinding noise as splines were stripped on an axle. Eased off and tried forward again....smooth as silk that time and rolled fine, forward and back. 5 minutes later....same thing!.
Oh yeah......I pulled the rearend plug on flat ground too check the hydro fluid......actually overfull a little. Fluid looked good and didnt smell burnt......and I just put a new filter on the rearend!. (I didnt drain the rear for the filter change....just swapped them out while losing a handful of fluid!).

Runs great and once moving forward or backward, seems fine!....it just growls when starting too engage too forward and is very jerky!.

Any ideas before I start disassembling procedures?

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Re: 982 forward/reverse troubles

Post by pattonacres »

how cold was it out> moisture in fluid? frozen?
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I assume it was a cub filter. I agree sounds like water
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I would be a little worried by the "grinding noise" description, but ice could have caused the pump to starve for fluid and cavitate. Cavitation can sound pretty bad, and it will destroy hydraulic pumps and motors if allowed to continue.

I would pull the rear cover to check everything visually (see if any stray metal chunks are there) and clean out any water logged fluid goop.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><