tube tires on tubeless wheels?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
tc429
First and Last Name: Tim C

tube tires on tubeless wheels?

Post by tc429 »

found a set of front tires i liked, but they are kinda heavy duty...5 ply, tube types, but look pretty cool- 5 rib, pretty flat tread...anyways the wheels I have are for 16-650-8 tubeless tires- if i try to put tube type tires (and tubes?) on them will I have trouble mounting? assume same size=same size, but Ive never had a tube tire in my life except on bicycles - dunno if beads are compatible...if beads are same, can they be ran without tubes? assume just pulling the valvestems out(maybe drilling oversize if needed for tube stems to fit)/mounting halfway/popping tubes in/mounting up is all thats involved- sorry if this is a totally stupid question, just want to make sure... these tires are a little pricey, but look neat :) also going to a wide chevron rear, think the old cub 72 will look pretty cool wearing them for snow duty... will keep the stock skinnies in case it ever needs returned to original...

if these tube tires might not work, theres some three rib tubeless i can get cheaper, just they dont look right to me...maybe i'll just try to find tube type wheels? I'm weird about wheels, tires, maybe because of working in a place that made wheels all my life...

anyhow, appreciate any insight into tube-vs-tubeless wheels/mounting suggestions

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: tube tires on tubeless wheels?

Post by Klapatta »

If one is as stringent a follower of Murphy's law as I its reasonable to surmise
Tubeless tires require tubes.
Tube type tires require tubes.
There should be little or no trouble passing the tube valve stem through the wheel hole.
That's just the way I roll- :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Tim - I am betting you found the Vredestein 5-rib tires.
Link to Miller Tire listing: http://www.millertire.com/products/impl ... 0-8-6-ply/

I have the Vredestein 5-ribs on both my 2182 machines. In the size for the Supers, for some reason, they are tubeless. They are fabulous tires for the loader tractor because of how strong the sidewalls are in 6-ply. I liked them so much I put them on the other machine that mows in summer and will blow snow in the winter. I have found that they are fine as a turf tire for mowing.

Just to give an alternate viewpoint to Ken's, I just don't like tubes. Adds something else I have to buy and fool with. Ken's method of tubing everything has an advantage, it allows you to use an older tire that is leaking through cracked sidewalls for longer. Even so, I just don't like them. If my tubeless tires won't keep the air in, they get replaced.

I would be tempted to try these tires tubeless, but that is just me. I have no experience with trying such a stunt, but these tires are very popular so you might have someone check in that has tried it. Miller Tire might even know if there has been success using these tubeless. If you are parking in an area with an air compressor it might just be that you have to fill them more often than usual if installed tubeless.

It you do buy them and install them with tubes, the tube stem will fit right through the standard valve stem hole. No drilling required. Otherwise, the installation is as you describe. I am not aware of any alternate bead style for tubed tires.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Tom- you are correct :) thanks for the input on those tires, good to hear they dont just look good. I just never mounted a tubeless tire, didnt know if the beads/wheels were different, thanks Tom and Klapatta for clarifying- they come with tubes, so tubes it is.

I did some plowing with the old cub tonight- it had sat for over a year, maybe two, they put some gas in it at my old buddy Don's estate sale, started right up with jumpers... hadnt touched it since bringing it home, put a new battery in it tonight and raised the plow shoes up flush, fired right up- scraped all the slushy ice and snow off before it refroze... I'd only used it one time a couple years ago when we tried the plow out, getting it out in a bigger area (our drive is near 400') was really impressed with how strong the little cub is...aside from the front end sliding if the blade was turned, it worked like a champ. those old clutches work one heck of a lot smoother than the belt slipper on our other(dead) cub.
if Don's old tractor ends up a winter duty thing only, will probably go ahead fill the rears for some weight. looking at a squarish chevron treaded rear set with those 5 ribs up front, think it will look more 'proper proportions' than the very skinny old wheels and tires- realize wider contact patch usually = less traction due to less PSI on the ground, but I cant help it, love the look of wider tires. I still need to pull the motor out again- it needs crank seals from the fire 5 yrs ago when the petcock vibrated out while Don was mowing...we replaced a lot of stuff, Don thought the motor was going to be ok, but afraid the heat got the flywheel side seal, its losing a lot of oil.

the original pic i posted a couple years ago is gone from the post, thought I'd put it back up again- here was my buddy doing the 'look ma- no hands' thing the day we started the cub back up...he was 'only' 88 then...lost him a month after his 90th birthday, the kids and I sure miss that old fart :(
Attachments
don-cub.jpg
don-cub.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

tc429

Post by tc429 »

tires showed up yesterday- talk about fast shipping! I see now the difference in the tube type is just a thinner bead area... looking at an adapter for filling the tires also, more weight would be nice. went with 23-10.5-12 and 16-6.5-8 sizes, WAAY wider than the OEM cub tires, will try to get the new wheels painted/mounted/pics soon. decided against chroming the wheels, think the 'old' cub should stay in white- even if wider wheels/tires, think it will be a nice looking and traction improving mod... then time to fix that oil leak...