Oil out the carb - 1650

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Oil out the carb - 1650

Post by ReicheP »

I assume my 1650 has the original motor in and never been wrenched. I'm getting a decent drip of oil out the carb. So if it makes snow plow season it's coming apart. Does this engine have a breather and perhaps it's clogged? It pushes no "blue" out of the exhaust.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Oil out the carb - 1650

Post by Klapatta »

Paul, I'm thinking a worn intake valve guide ?
Normally one would think that only the exhaust guide is prone to wear.
Seems to me I recall Joe M. telling me one story of his to the contrary, perhaps he can chime in on this one
Or yes perhaps the breather assembly is not assembeled correctly and spewing oil on to the carb.
I have to refer to the manual every time I assemble one of those things :P

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
I don't remeber a worn guide, but I am starting to forget things ... Dam crs... I do remember a broken adjuster/tappet, from last fall on a 100.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Ok I'm grabbing straws now :lol:
I think it was two years ago at Colchester when we were talking about your cherry 126 ?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe,
Sometimes I fell like a charter member ! Maybe that was Engine Mike.
Anyhow, this is how the breather is supposed to be assembled, that little oil drain dow hole facing toward the bottom is real important
breather.gif
breather.gif (18.42 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
It's really coming down now, updates to appear on the weather thread later!

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Folks thanks for the suggestions, breather will be checked this weekend. Looks like the 1811/450 is gonna get a work out tomorrow morning!

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Question, does the reed valve "usually" fail? Is it suggested I buy new gasket, reed valve before R&R since I don't want this tractor with blade taking time off?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The reed valve is nothing more than a stamped thin piece of spring steel that opens and closes against the breather plate and from what I have seen failures are rare. They are not a lot of money. Far more common is for the breather element getting gunked up and degraded from heat over time causing the spring chamber to fill with oil. One could probably make a new element from a couple peices of coarse skotch brite if they had to, but I have never tried that yet. The tube seal will degrade from heat and age as well. Also a brather assembly that is not assembled exactly correctly will not function as designed and I have seen quite a few like that so it is something to be on the lookout for as it is taken apart. The small drain hole facing up or the reed valve and baffle on the wrong side of the breather plate are a couple examples. I took one apart like that once and the baffle had chewed itself into the valve springs! Even the valve spring retainers were wrecked.
It's very easy to over tighten and warp the cover plate, no more than a couple turns on the nut after contact should do it. I like to use a nylock nut to make sure it stays in place. If someone beforehand over tightened the plate it may be necessary to straighten out the indentation made in the center of the plate. I like to use silicon onn those gaskets for a leak proof seal and easy future disassembly

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
Your right! My 126 did have a bad valve guide, I can't recall intake or exhaust. Again damn CRS…

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

I cleaned the oil return on the breather and I "believe" my oil issue is gone. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well, that's good news :)
One thing not mentioned in the thread is a worn exhaust valve guide can cause excess pressure in the valve spring chamber and force oil out of the breather, another is a worn intake valve guide can cause an otherwise perfectly good engine to be a smoker as the oil can be drawn into the combuston chamber and burned. Please let us know if the matter has been licked for sure !

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Just by lack of oil drip out the side and onto the ground indicates a solution. Anyway, next spring I plan on pulling and going through the motor, even if it's in a 1650!