Brake repair

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Brake repair

Post by OhioBinder »

On all of my CC Hydro's the brakes are shot or not working. How can they get so far out when they rarely do anything on a hydro. Really not needed except when the engine is not running. On my 1450 they are wore down to about nothing. I don't think the adjustment rods will allow enough adjustment to take up the slack unless I stack a bunch of washers behind the nuts on the rod. Are there new pads available for these? I just can't really imagine how they can get so much wear when they really do nothing.
What is the solution to get a good working brake back?
David Gregg
NW oIHo

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Re: Brake repair

Post by dale campbell »

put a 1/2" flat washer between the outside pad and the bracket to make up some of the lost thickness from the worn pads ,you will probably have to loosen the caliper mounts to center them on the disc then set the brake and retighten the brackets

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Re: Brake repair

Post by OhioBinder »

Thanks for the reply Dale
The washer behind the brake pads sounds a lot better than my idea of adding behind the adjustment nuts. The pads are wore down to almost nothing. I really should look for a replacement but the washers should work.
I went out this morning and was looking for a possible donor. I have a 169 that I will never get around to stored in the back shed. The pads look thicker, at least they seem to be better. Will know more after I remove them.
David Gregg
NW oIHo