My Review of the Generic Aftermarket Starter/Generator

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

My Review of the Generic Aftermarket Starter/Generator

Post by BearKiller »

I thought I would post my experience with installing and using one of the generic aftermarket starter/generators that can be found on both ebay and Amazon.

Both of my genuine Delco 1101692 S/G, with new brushes and bearings, will spin freely when bench-tested, but neither will do more than wiggle the pulley when installed on the engine.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with any of the starter repair shops around here, so I vetoed wasting my time and money fooling with them.

Instead, I ordered one of the generic aftermarket S/G; they all appear to be the same, just different vendors, and the pricing is within a couple dollars regardless of which vendor one chooses.

All of these specify direct replacement for Delco 1101692; in fact, 1101692 is the first number listed in the application data; this claim is only about 1/2 true, as there are several differences and some minor fabrication is necessary to make these S/G fit and work.

However, once a slight bit of fabrication was employed, the S/G I received has performed flawlessly; it starts my engine with authority and seems to be charging properly.

On my particular starter, I also ran into a situation that may be unique to the one I got, but did not instill much confidence in my purchase decision nor give a good first impression.

These S/G do not come with a pulley.

When I installed one of my old pulleys on the new S/G, things did not sound nor feel right when I gave the pulley a spin.

So, I pulled the end-cap and found one of the brush-holders to be smashed flat against the starter housing and the brush just rattling around inside; so much for quality control.

I used a couple pair of pliers and carefully reshaped the brush-holder and got the brush installed and functioning properly --- an operation I should not had to have done on a brand-new S/G.

As to differences, this is what I found:

1. My unit was made in India.

2. There are various open threaded holes through the main housing that must be there for other applications.

3. My two original Delco S/G have a solid bushing at the brush end of the armature; this replacement has a sealed bearing on both ends.

4. The terminal studs are improperly located, with the solenoid controlled HOT terminal being about where the field terminal is on a Delco unit and the field terminal located two inches closer to the engine; if the bolt-pattern of the S/G were identical to that of an original Delco, this would place the field terminal in interference with the PTO control shaft --- more about this later.

5. The mounting bolt-hole spread of a genuine Delco S/G is six inches center-to-center; the c-c bolt-pattern of the replacement unit is larger at 6-1/8 inches. This discrepancy is what takes care of the problem of the field terminal being in interference with the PTO control shaft.

6. When mounted onto the engine via the two bottom pivot bolts, with the top tension-adjustment bolt at the extreme end of the adjustment slot, the original v-belt is about a mile too long --- this is going to work in our favor and permit needed clearance between the field terminal and PTO control shaft.

How I made this work:

I used a piece of 1-inch X 3/16 flat steel that I had on hand, about 3-1/2 inches long.

I drilled/tapped a 5/16 threaded hole in one end, offset toward one edge by about 1/4 inch so that the S/G housing would not bind against this piece.

I drilled a 5/16 clearance hole in the opposite end, located 2-1/8" c-c from the other hole, also offset toward the same edge.

Note: I could have accomplished the same result by using a narrower piece of steel or by grinding clearance; I just used what I had and offsetting the holes was easier than grinding.

The 5/16 clearance hole was attached to the adjustment bolt hole on the S/G with a 5/16 x 1" bolt, with a flat and lock under the head, with the new extension bar I just described located on the side of the S/G closest to the rear of the mower.

Three flat washers were placed between the slotted adjustment bracket and new extension bar to provide clearance for the previously mentioned bolt-head; a 5/16 x 1" bolt was placed through the slotted adjustment bracket, through these three washers, and threaded into the tapped hole on the new extension bar.

Once the belt was properly tensioned, the end of the slotted adjustment bracket just rests on the bolt-head that is threaded into the S/G; the bolt that attaches the slotted adjustment bracket to the new extension bar (the one through the three washers) ends up in the center of the adjustment slot, allowing some adjustment in both directions.

Best of all, the field terminal now has plenty of clearance and is no longer interfering with the PTO control shaft.

I know this seems like a lot of hassle to make a supposedly direct replacement S/G fit and work, but the end results were worth it.

My engine now starts effortlessly and that is the result I was after.

If one has the minor fabrication skills to make the necessary alterations, and is forewarned not to expect a direct replacement, then I would recommend these generic aftermarket S/G as a viable alternative to expensive repairs on an original S/G.

I may be cussing this S/G the next time I go mow; but, so far so good.

Thanks for reading.

I hope this information is of some benefit to someone.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Re: My Review of the Generic Aftermarket Starter/Generator

Post by vince_o »

Ive seen them on epay all the time. Glad you could make it work. Ive had real good luck with the mag starters I've gotten from a shop out of Atl Ga. Got to get another one soon for another eng
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

George - Good write up! Some pics of the key points and fabricated parts would be really good.

Glad it worked out!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I've gotten a few aftermarket starters for the KT17's and haven't had any issues. They just want way too much for the OEM starter.
Adrian

drice
First and Last Name: Daniel Rice

Post by drice »

I hope u have better luck with yours ,mine lasted about two months and burned up.it was running real hot all the time.id like to know were vince was getting them from Atlanta.i usally get them rebuilt from a starte- gen rebuilder close to me but some time the armature is too bad and he cant do them

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

I type in to epay nearist distance, atl is about 2 hrs away.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Item number 140898791666
-Andrew Jackson

drice
First and Last Name: Daniel Rice

Post by drice »

I think that's were I got it.but the number vince put on from ebay is a newer starter. I was trying to figure out if it was worth rebuilding or getting new but it makes more sense to me to rebuild for now till I run out of good cores

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Around here its 60 to 80 to have a shop rebuild a starter or a starter generator. Ive got a compleate rebuild from kokler in my pile of nos stuff. Im saving it for hard times
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

After doing quite a bit of research I'm fairly sure that the new armature assemblies and replacement field winding kits that also show up on Ebay are the same maker.
I have one very nice extra Delco case assembly on hand with the correct CCW field windings and ID number but it needs an armature. The price is right so perhaps I should give that a try.
Thanks for your post, these units are getting harder to find and it's good to know they can be had without paying out big money for a factory replacement.