Help with Kohler build

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
cman
First and Last Name: Jeff March

Help with Kohler build

Post by cman »

I have a 107 that is getting tired. I live at altitude 7350, so so low on power. I just picked up a k321 14hp kohler for a sixer that looks to be in excellent condition, but...
1. it has a 1.125 shaft, so can't use the stock PTO.
2. It is a wide base block, so would need to trim the base to fit.
3. Low mount gear starter, needs to be modified to high mount and shroud modified and frame widened to accept the big flywheel. Else I could use the bearing plate and flywheel, shroud and generator from my 10hp spare motor.
I also have a K301 12HP that runs, smokes, needs rebuilt. I wonder if the 14hp is worth all the trouble? Or will the 12HP with a killer build run just as good? It'll bolt right in without all the headaches.
What would you do?
I'm also thinking of installing an electronic ignition, and running E85 to coax a few more ponies out of it.
Attached pics.
Attachments
20151005_200255.jpg
20151005_200255.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 3667 times
20151005_200333.jpg
20151005_200333.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 3667 times
20151005_200539.jpg
20151005_200539.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3667 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Help with Kohler build

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Jeff! I'm sure people could say of me....." Why do u like to make a simple project so hard" :lol: I have heard rebuilds on those engines r pretty easy...and maybe a couple hundred bucks. If that were mine I would rebuild the 301.....then move on to other projects on the tractor. Painting is always fun and gives lots of satisfaction...... 2 extra horses, not so much. ;) keep the pics coming. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

Welcome Jeff.

I would sell the 14 hp Kohler and us the money to rebuild the K301. There is too modifying that needs done to make the K321 work in your 107.

I'm not a big fan of electronic ignition on a single cylinder Kohler. You can have a good spark by using a Bosch coil, 8 mm plug wire, Auto Lite sparkplug, good wire harness and a good battery.

Best thing for an engine that runs at 7350 feet altitude is lots of compression. Have the head milled at least .03 to .04. The early 10 hp had a high compression head. Try to find one. They will cost big $$$$ when you do find one.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Jeff,

So many core and good engines are both available for the narrow frames. You are asking for headaches, and modifications that you don't need to do. Also, I think the flywheel from a 10-12 are the same, and the 14-16 are balanced differently.

I don't think that block can be just trimmed, you would have 2 rectangular voids in the side of the block because of the wedge shaped areas on the side by the oil fill tube. The only ones that I think you can just cut the wings off of to make it a narrow base are the JD 300 series, because they are just mounts that are cast into the side.

No reason to get rid of the points.

cman
First and Last Name: Jeff March

Post by cman »

It looks like the Orange engine might bolt in to an Original Cub Cadet?
Would an Original need any mods to handle double horsepower? (besides Wide Ag's and wheelie bar :)

Would the engine also fit into a wide frame? or other Cub? Which models?
I have an urge to acquire a manual transmission Cub, I've only ever owned the hydros.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

It might bolt onto the frame, but not in the existing holes. The starting and charging systems would be different. Would have to re-wire the tractor itself to make it run as it is. Closure plate for geared starter and generator start are different, so you are dis assembling the engine partially, and re-setting crankshaft endplay to change this one to generator start. Don't think the current muffler would work (on the yellow engine EDIT). Overall height width, and depth are different. I know people have gone over the limit, but that original clutch was only expected to hold 7 hp, so probably..... The rear end will definitely stand up to the extra torque (most people just see horsepower and ignore torque. Torque is what breaks driveline parts!!!) No, that engine will NOT fit in a wide frame.

As far as other gear drive Cubs, keep in mind, the highest hp that IH used in a gear drive was a 12 hp, because of concerns of the clutch not holding the extra power. This all changed when the 1806 came out, it was 18 hp with a gear transmission.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I doubt the Original hood would accommodate the bigger motor after you get a gas tank on it either. I've seen them cut up some to get a 10hp actual cub cadet motor in them
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!