Fix for DipStick ???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Fix for DipStick ???

Post by BearKiller »

Since I have owned our 129, 12-HP Kohler, about once every third mowing, the oil dip-stick will jump loose and allow oil to get slung all over everything before I can see that it has happened.

Each time it has done this, I spend the rest of that mowing session with one eyeball constantly on the dip-stick.

Well...., it did it twice this morning before I was even 1/3 finished, so I parked it and took the dip-stick in the shop for an examination.

What I thought was an O-ring on that rubber plug must be made permanent onto it, as I cannot get it to come loose.

I could see no feasible means of squishing the old rubber plug to a slightly larger diameter.

My temporary solution was to stack four O-rings over the rubber plug and above the integral "O-ring"

The tightness of these four O-rings seemed to squish the rubber plug to a larger diameter, thus tighter fit; it no longer has a bit of up-and-down wiggle room along the shaft.

Also, the O-rings are just a smidgeon fatter than the integral O-ring.

It now fits quite a bit snugger and maybe it will stay sealed; it is too hot out there to worry with it now.

All that rambling aside, what have you guys done to fix a loose dip-stick ?

Thanks for reading.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Fix for DipStick ???

Post by BigMike »

Sorry different kind of dip stick :lol:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The cause is blow by past the rings,the fix is a rebuild.
A spring from the loop on the dip stick to a fixed point on the engine/tractor will solve it....for now.

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

I may have plenty of blow-by, but that old worn-out dip-stick just sat in the tube and jiggled around; there was no friction/snugness whatsoever.

I am gonna try your spring idea just to be on the safe side.

As tight a fit as it now has, if there is blow-by and nowhere else for it to go, it will shoot out of there like a missile.

Thanks for the idea about using a spring !

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Do you have the dipstick under the hood or the cam cover one? If it really is just worn out there's plenty of good used ones floating around. I probably have 15 or so somewhere and sure others here have more than that.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

If there's that much blow by shouldn't it becoming out the valve cover also? Maybe that plugged?

BearKiller

Post by BearKiller »

My dip-stick resides down low on the left/larboard side of the engine; it is accessible without raising the hood; it is also the only place I have found to add oil.

Just to be clear, the stick has never completely came out of the tube; it just jumps loose such that oil can escape.

I looked through my accumulated junk --- I mean treasures --- and found a good prospect for a hold-down spring and placed it on the work-bench for if/when the stick jumped loose again; I have not as yet resorted to the spring, but it is ready should I need to.

With a weather eye on my O-ring improved dip-stick, I undertook to finish the remaining 2/3 of mowing; I managed to finish the job with no dip-stick episodes.

As for blow-by, I am sure there is some; but, I do not smell it like I do in old worn-out R-model 237 Mack dump-trucks and Ford 6.9/7.3 diesels, so it must not be excessive.

I will update after several more mowings, but I think for now I have cured the problem.

Thanks.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Bearkiller,

I had the same situation happen to me a while back, on my 1450. Looked under the hood and seen oil all around. I just turned my dip stick around the other way, and it seats tighter in the dip stick tube. Has not happened since. Blow by seems like it could be a cause. But I know my engine is pretty tight. It will use no oil after running out a full tank of gas, maybe 4-5 tanks before I need to add oil.

The spring idea from Big mike was a help for me too!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!