106 Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing/Seal

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Ianb
First and Last Name: Ian Buckwell

106 Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing/Seal

Post by Ianb »

Today I spun my in bits Cub transmission with an electric drill to check the gears are working, one thing I did notice was what sounded like a noisey bearing where the driveshaft enters the gearbox. Can anyone tell me how involved it is to replace the bearing and is there a seperate seal?

Is it advised/needed to replace the seal if there is one when replacing the bearing? And is the bearing available from bearing suppliers or is it a specific Cub Cadet part?

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: 106 Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing/Seal

Post by Klapatta »

Ian,
The part number for the seal (20) is IH385076-R91.
The part number for the bearing (18) is 741-0361.
The rear needle bearing (25) is very stout.
The gear reduction pinion assembly can be removed by unbolting the front cover plate (23).
DSCN7385.JPG
DSCN7385.JPG (178.5 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
In my own experience that bearing holds up very well, however should you require a new one I'd think that any local bearing supply house would be able to match them up. It's a basic ball bearing and seal. Removing it and checking for looseness and noise are real way to validate the need for replacement. Before pressing into tear down grasp the shaft and check for lateral rather than axial movement, that could tell you a lot. I suspect your hearing normal noise associated with any rotating spur gear assembly.

Ianb
First and Last Name: Ian Buckwell

Re: 106 Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing/Seal

Post by Ianb »

Thankyou for that, I will check the lateral play, is there usually any if the bearings are fine?, Are the gears quite noisy, hadnt thought of it but whilst rotating the box with a drill you dont havwe the engine noise which would normally drown out a lot of other noises. It was quite a grumbly rough sound. Sorry I have no experience of what is normal or not.