Loader Mutt Continues...

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.

Re: Loader Mutt Continues...

Postby DaveKamp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 pm

What you need for that project, Mike... is a Continental Y69 or a Hercules ZXB, or a Waukesha ICK... and a transmission out of a Cushman Truckster... they'd be perfect for that kind of project...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.
DaveKamp

City and State: LeClaire, Ia
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Postby mrbrown » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am

DaveKamp wrote:What you need for that project, Mike... is a Continental Y69 or a Hercules ZXB, or a Waukesha ICK... and a transmission out of a Cushman Truckster... they'd be perfect for that kind of project...

Not in my scrap pile but a friend may have Cushman parts. I have a Briggs flathead twin, 2518 cub frame & hydro, rusty Ford 120 hood and a rusty home made grill. I have 4 lug 570x 8 trailer wheels on the back & a set of 6" on the front. I think the hydro will be speedy enough with the small tires. I built a wood seatbox/bed from old barn wood and have some fenders for under it. About half done, not exactly a bolt together, but it will if everything is in the right place. Mike :D
mrbrown

City and State: cambridge, OH
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Postby dag1450 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Mike...you need to start a new thread for that.... :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 x 2 . A mower, blower and blade for each.
dag1450

City and State: Chalfont, Pa
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Postby DaveKamp » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:57 pm

I agree, Dave- Mike needs to start a thread on it... suffice to say, if you're gonna build it, build it WEIRD, so it has some SOUL...

Speaking of which, the idea came up over a decade ago, to build a high-speed Cub Cadet, and I haven't forgotten... Off the top of my head, I don't remember the names, but I could find them in my brain after searching some archives and emails from boards-long-gone... Don and Dusty come to mind...

But 4 speeds, with reverse removed and gear clusters swapped, an iron transaxle with independant suspension front and back, running skinny, bald salt tires, carefully smoothed bodywork, and a very, very, very carefully built engine by one of our tractor-pulling geniuses that'll spin-to-the-sky... I did the calculations, I think 130mph was the first-echelon of cuttoff for windload horsepower... and depending on what else could be done underhood, and if the transaxle would survive it...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.
DaveKamp

Postby mrbrown » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 am

Yes i'll start a new post shortly when i can get it to a pic form. No thanks to those high speed cubs. Those 20+ mph pulling speeds are scary enough. I'd rather go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
mrbrown

City and State: cambridge, OH
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Postby DaveKamp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:58 am

Hmmm... yeah... that's a plunge I think I'll skip for now... :lol:

By the way, Guys- Other things, particularly things that will be unreachable in my wintertime scope, are on the front-burner right now, and the weather is fair, so betwixt that and work, I haven't had much indoor shop-time, but that doesn't mean I'm not 'working' on the Mutt rearend right now.

the wheel centers liberated from the Studebaker wheel conversion will work nicely inside Cub Cadet wheels- i can carefully snip out the original centers, position and weld in the new ones. What I don't have (and I used to have gobs of) are extra wheels of the heavy IH Cub Cadet variety. I have a set of 12" rims off something clearly lighter-duty, which I'm NOT going to use because they wouldn't survive... but one thing that I'm considering heavily, is integrating a machined running surface into the center of the wheel to serve as a brake drum for separate right/left brakes. The inside diameter of the finished wheel will be about 10", which happens to be a common brake drum ID for Jeeps, trailers, etc., so it's...

(grab something solid...)

A SHOE-IN... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

But I'm also considering how I'd like to build such wheels. I'm contemplating a variety of options whilst in this state of seasonal transition empasse... and when the time comes, I'll have decided on some path, and perhaps, acquired a pair of heavy IHCC wheels to be my workpieces.
DaveKamp

Previous

Return to Cub Cadets and Shooting the Breeze