Parting a 1872

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
WHYDE
First and Last Name: Wayne Hyde

Parting a 1872

Post by WHYDE »

When it warms up enough I'm going to part my 1872 and I was wondering which way would be best try to sell the hydro rearend complete or axles and carrier, then hyrdo pump. That way shipping would be possible. Thanks

F Currier Northern Maine
First and Last Name: Frank A. Currier

Re: Parting a 1872

Post by F Currier Northern Maine »

Parting these machines out isn't all it's cracked up to be. If your time is worth anything you'd be better off advertising the whole tractor locally, on Craigslist and/or eBay. That said, I'm going to guess that your 1872 has a fine-spline rear which the pullers like and those parts aren't too bad to ship. You'll want a scale and to familiarize yourself with the shipping rates, which just went up, BTW. Shipping tends to be a killer. I just sent a Ford rear axle to North Dakota. Package weighed 16-17 pounds and shipping was $22. Total cost to buyer was $26! It happens! I didn't make 25 cents an hour on that little deal but that axle was a piece of work and I didn't want to scrap it. Also, FWIW, it's a buyers' market for parts right now. As I write this, there's 10,305 Cub Cadet listings on eBay, of which 1,322 are auction style. You might want to check out the 1872 listings to help you decide which way to go. Good luck, whichever. ;)

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Wayne, you'll have to let me know when you're going to part it out. I'm not far from you so I may take some if not the whole thing.
Adrian

WHYDE
First and Last Name: Wayne Hyde

Post by WHYDE »

I'm not talking about the whole tractor, just the transaxle, power steering and maybe at a later date the hydraulics. I bought it for a project using part of it. Thanks