Plow springs, oh joy.

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Bill Decker
First and Last Name: Bill Decker

Plow springs, oh joy.

Post by Bill Decker »

Since the plow face on the Ol' Dawg's 42 incher has seen much better days, I went into the back room and dragged up a really nice plow that, unfortunately, had been cobbled up by a PO in an effort to make it fit an ATV or something. The blade itself is really nice, so I popped the springs and pivot pin. While the "off" part is rather easy, the "on" part as far as springs go appears to to have a little more to it.....any tricks to avoid sore foreheads and foul language?

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Re: Plow springs, oh joy.

Post by ReicheP »

DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Bill Decker
First and Last Name: Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

Thanks Paul...that makes far too much sense for my pea brain , I would MUCH rather use a 9 foot pry bar and pick the springs out of the ceiling....

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Post by dale campbell »

bill i use a piece of thin wall pipe or conduit with the end cut at about 45 degree angle has to be small enough to go through loop on end of spring put pipe on end of pin that spring goes on and pry it right on. works pretty good

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I had to use the spring puller tool that came with our trampoline it was still a bear strength wise.
Adrian

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

the way I have found to be the easest way to put springs on a blade is lay the blade on front down put the v part in the top hook the springs on pull the v back using a lineup punch to get the hole lined up then use a vise grip to hold it put the pin in one side and repeat to finsh works for me every time

WHYDE
First and Last Name: Wayne Hyde

Post by WHYDE »

Found this.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Wayne's pic looks to be from the Haban blade manual... So, it is a good time to mention that for snow duty the manual only calls for using two springs on a Haban blade. I believe that removing the two center springs distributes the load more evenly.

Less spring tension makes sense for snow removal; snow load will build up quickly above the hinge point, so you need the blade to have less spring tension to compensate. Also, snow removal is typically done at higher speed than grading dirt, so you want the blade to trip easily if you hit an obstruction.

Conversely, when grading dirt, you are often just working the lower part of the blade, perhaps trying to skim off some difficult soil. This type of work will put all the force below the hinge point and will require all four springs.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but it is a legacy from the free-flowing continuous thread of the old days... :lol:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

klejeune
First and Last Name: Keith LeJeune

Post by klejeune »

That's good info Tom! I don't have a Haban blade but good to know or the future!

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

I think I ended up getting mine on using a big snap-on screw driver. I definitely broaden my vocabulary that day. :o
Lots of good tips for getting springs on!

jlarsen
First and Last Name: Jim Larsen

Post by jlarsen »

To put on the plow spring i use the old brake tool . It has two long handles one to turn the springs off, the other to put them back on . The end to put them back on has a cuped end that works great.