Cluch Promblem

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jpence
First and Last Name: James Pence

Cluch Promblem

Post by jpence »

While plowing the cluch disk came apart and flew off the tractor :shock: . I was wondering if the disk is still sold and what the prices would be new and used. any help would be appriated. thanks in advance.
James Pence in PA

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: Cluch Promblem

Post by mgonitzke »

It's about $40 new. Don't buy a used one. While you are in there, it would be wise to take the clutch completely apart and replace any other worn parts, particularly the driveshaft, teaser spring, throwout bearing, main spring, and the spirol pins. It'll cost about $150 but it'll last another 40 years.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Matt's right, the motor has to come out to get the clutch out (or is a bear to do without taking the motor out), so it's not a job you want to redo in a year or so. While you're at it, I'd true up the metal discs that ride against the friction disc as well to avoid premature wear or a weak contact point that can slip easier.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

jpence

Post by jpence »

I have replaced it before and can do it easily in 2hrs. I can get one off my granfather tomarrow. i have a new shaft and bearing so i should get it done before the next major snow around here. thanks for the help.
James Pence in PA

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

James

Its an easy job, but If you know someone with a lathe get them to true you steel preasure plates. Im running on 2 tractors, soon to be 3 the kevlar clutch disk from mid west super clutch and its alot better than the factory one, oh cheaper too. Nice thing is if your 3 holes get egged out, theres 3 more on the clutch to use. Also replace the brass bushing in the 3 pin driver.

Timmy D had a nice write up on how to do it, and a really nice clutch tool to use.

Just my .o2, but what do I know :roll:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Now Vince,
Can't you just drill 3 new holes in the old one?

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Maybe

Have you ever seen me use a drill?
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Joe Rice (Joe's Farmall parts) has reproduction clutch discs for $25. I was going to get a couple from him but when I was at Columbus Midwest had theirs on sale for $25 each so I got a couple from them and saved shipping.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

MarcusB
First and Last Name: Mark Baudhuin

Post by MarcusB »

I have a well used 122, my holes are also egged out,& the teaser spring is in 2 pieces I saw Matts clutch tool & could make one, could someone tell me how to remove the clutch, or tell me where to look to get the info. Thanks Marcus B

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Marcus, if I can get the URL to work, here's how I do it.

http://www.cubcadetman.com/content/inde ... ut=default

jpence

Post by jpence »

MarcusB wrote:I have a well used 122, my holes are also egged out,& the teaser spring is in 2 pieces I saw Matts clutch tool & could make one, could someone tell me how to remove the clutch, or tell me where to look to get the info. Thanks Marcus B
Marcus in the manual you may find the instructions to remove the clutch. What you have to do is remove the four engine bolts and move the engine forward (it may be helpful to remove the grill and hood) then you have to remove the pin that conects the drive shaft to the transmission or creaper if one is present. After that you have to take the drive shaft out and use the clutch tool to take apart the clutch. In the manual it shows how to put the peices back together. Then put the clutch back in the tractor and reassemble the tractor.
James Pence in PA

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

The tool in Pauls link is the one I use. What Ill do is pull the front nose, hood all in one shot. The harness is long enough to set it to the side and rest the back of the hood against the fender.

Pull the 4 eng bolts, throtle and choke cable, and the ground below the S/G and slide the eng forward.

Then youll have room to do it in the tractor. If your drive shft shows signs of wear, replace it. David Kerr dose a nice job making drive shafts and I feel a great price too. I have a couple from him.
-Andrew Jackson

MarcusB
First and Last Name: Mark Baudhuin

Post by MarcusB »

Thanks guys, another thing on the to do list, I think I'll get a new clutch disk & throw bearing since it'll be apart. I don't want to do it twice. Thanks again Marcus B.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I would get a new teaser spring and main spring, and replace the driveshaft if there is wear where the throwout bearing rides. The clutch isn't fun to remove on a NF tractor, so you only want to do it once. I would also have the pressure plates trued up on a lathe.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

Jpence
You said you replaced it before. Are you talking about the same tractor? And if so how long ago was it?

jpence

Post by jpence »

i have replaced the drive shaft and teaser spring and not the disk, the same tractor, and about a mounth ago.
James Pence in PA