K301 in 125 not happy

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
CC1200
First and Last Name: Greg Galletti

K301 in 125 not happy

Post by CC1200 »

Hey Guys was getting some cub time this morning cleaning up some snow from this weeks storm and the engine let out a big ol squeal and I cut her off.
I checked to see if anything obvious was wrong and when I tried to restart the motor would not turn. I pulled the plug and turned the drive shaft to see if it would spin freely and it moves but its tight as can be. The starter/gen doesn't have enough torque to spin her. The oil level is fine and I can't see any seal leakage anywhere.

I guess I'll need to tear her down and was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers as to what I should be looking for or how best to troubleshoot as I get into it.

Thanks.

GG

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Re: K301 in 125 not happy

Post by Merk »

The first thing I would do is disconnect the driveshaft, take the belt off the pto (if you are using it) and the starter belt. I would make sure the starter, front pto or hydro trans is not causing the problem. If you haven't found the problem it's time to pull oil pan off the motor and remove connecting rod cap.

Next area I would check is the crank bearings. I had a Kohler that had a bearing going out.

Last edited by Merk on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CC1200

Post by CC1200 »

Hey Thanks. Appreciate the info. Like you note. I'd like to rule out everything else before I pull the engine. Again thanks

GG

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Greg , I had one do that one time and it turned out to be the starter generator .
Mine locked up tighter than a drum and stalled the engine after it started squalling .
It happened so fast I didn't even get a chance to shut it off before it stalled.
Take the belt off and try turning the S/G by hand .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

CC1200

Post by CC1200 »

Jess,

Thanks I'll give it a try

GG

CC1200

Post by CC1200 »

Well pulled the S/G yesterday and thankfully driveshaft spins with little real resistance. Got the SG out and sure enough locked up tight. I broke it down and am going to rebuild. Are all the internal bushings/bearings available on the market???? Do we have a link to the S/G exploded view so I can find part numbers etc.....

Thanks all.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

To get the parts numbers you have to go to Carter & Greunwald and click on parts, click on model, add 125 and look for " Motor Generator-Delco-Remy". Good place to buy parts also (Ask for Ken).

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Greg , good deal , I'm glad I was correct for a change. :beer:
Actually your going to get off pretty cheap rebuilding the S/G compared to what rebuilding a K-301 would cost .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I bought my last original with a Seized engine so the PO thought. I paid 100 for it with fenders and creeper. I thought it was worth it in parts. I pulled s/g off and put on a new one and it started right up and ran perfect.

You never know.

CC1200

Post by CC1200 »

Geezer,

Thanks for the info and links. Jess/Mike yes I'm hopeful I'll get away with just a S/G rebuild. I'll know shortly I hope if this is all that needs to be done. Fortunately my 1200 with QA42 is ready to take on the snow, if any heads our way, but I must say using the hydro is a real pleasure in tight spots where I've got to reverse field often and I love using it at plow days. I'll keep you posted as I find a window of opportunity to get into it.