Bad Gas

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Re: Bad Gas

Post by Racenitro »

My Suzuki King Quad LT-F4WDX defies all the gasoline handling procedures. I parked it over 4 years ago when it developed an electrical problem. It sat outside the entire time. Yesterday I decided to try and fix it so I pulled it into the garage. I figured I was going to have big problems after such a long time withthe carb, fuel pump and gas/tank. Put a new battery in it and it cranked just like old times. I checked the fuel pump, and the carb. No corrosion in carb and float was not stuck. Drained gas, it smelled just like new gas so I strained it and put it back in the tank. Sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and it fired. Got fuel into the carb and it cranked and ran perfect.....go figure....4 year old gas and it still works....no stabil in it or anything else.
Check the electrical system and can't find any problems...seems to be charging properly...thought it was the regulator...as the wiring got hot and smelled like it was burning when I parked it. Seems to be charging properly...no gauge or idiot light, but good voltage like it is charging. Guess I will not have to buy a new one so I can finish the several survey jobs that require packing equipment more than a ile to the site through woods and creek bottoms...at 64 that is a little tought.

So much for letting gasoline sit for a long time.......yes the tank has a vent to the atmosphere...

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Here is what the Kohler FAQ says;

"Kohler does not recommend using additives or cleaners in the oil or fuel system. Air-cooled engines operate at higher temperatures than liquid-cooled automotive engines, and additives developed for automotive use may not perform properly at higher temperatures. Oil additives can prematurely break down, altering the properties of the oil and leading to extensive internal damage or failure. Fuel system cleaning additives have a tendency to separate and turn acidic, causing damage to fuel system components. However, a fuel stabilizer is recommended in the fuel during periods of non-use (one month or more) to retard fuel deterioration."

This is from Startron's website;
"This same enzyme package breaks down fuel sludge and allows water to be dispersed throughout the fuel as sub-micron sized droplets that can be eliminated as the engine operates while also cleaning the entire fuel delivery system. Contaminants are either safely burned off or filtered out, and fuel chemistry is stabilized for long-term storage."

Briggs & Stratton even sells their own brand labled stabilizer.

The 30 day rule might be ok for some people but it doesn't work at all for me with 10 Cubs and as many big antique tractors. Leaving them sit with no fuel is just as bad because the tanks will rust. There is no way I could rotate gas through all those machines in 30 days. And if I could, that would be all I'd ever get done.

I have already heard what some people's opinion is about Seafoam, but I have been using it as my fuel stabilizer for 20 years with no fuel related problems.
I have also used Sta-bil from time to time.

My F-12 only gets run once a year and I only add fuel to it every 2 or 3 years. I haven't had the carb apart in the 19 years since I painted it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I'm not saying anyone is wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and are welcome to do what works best for them in their particular situation.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Well if you have a shop and bunch of stuff sitting there and not knowing when people are coming to get them, you gotta do something. There was 3 mowers sitting there from when Frank laid me off. There was a 21xx there that was over 90 days and we were talking about it, cause Id like to have it to mow grass with, and he said I doubt it will start. He turned the key and fired right up! So that stuff has to work some how.

Also the star stuff, Frank to me was being pushed by our kohler rep, ??????????????????? Whats that tell ya? Tells me that there is a problem and we all have to live with it. I just cant wait till the fuel injection comes, ten that will be a hole nother problem for the home owner. There are bitching now about the price to fix stuff, just wait.

also saw a command with bad fuel that runed the valve seats, and a husky that the ring was stuck and had to have a new piston in Now scaring on the cyl wall like run with improper fuel mix.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Todd...
I like SEAFOAM.....it does work well..... have used it to clean some injector systems in the past.

Vince...
Ethanol and injectors is a combination that most don't understand. Alcohol tends to leave a gum behind. When I was working for NHRA as their fuel analysist, I DQ'd a lot of Alcohol Racers...They wold put WD40 in their alcohol to lubircate the pump while sitting idle. between races...this was due to the gum that alsohol left behind. When I tested their fuel, it showed the presence of a hydrocarbon(WD40) and this would DQ them. THey would show me the gummy surfaces that alcohol left...

Now picture this in an electronic injector....
Not a pretty picture...

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

The 30 gas rule is for lawn and garden equipment only. F series tractors will run almost on anything that a spark plug can ignite if my memory is correct. There is more cylinders and mass turning on F series tractor motor than a motor in a Cub.

The local motor shops in my area will ask how old the fuel is and how you store your fuel. They will make suggestions to the small owner about storing their fuel right, buy enough fuel for 30 days and use only a fuel stablizer in their fuel. Hopefully all shops are doing that.

I have 13 running small motors. Only 2 are used year round. 4 out of the 13 small motors are 2 cycle motors. At the end of mowing for the year I will drain the tank and run carb out of fuel. All my small motors that have fuel shut off valves are closed and the fuel is run out of the carb when I'm done using that motor for the day.

Since I was going to a plow day I thought I try sea foam in my Cubs. I filled one fuel tank with gas and sea foam and the other with just gas. Both gas containers were filled from the same pump. I tried the gas with sea foam first at a plow day. My 149 was down on power while plowing and the motor in my 100 would die. The sae foam gas was drain and cointainer with non sea foam gas was used. Both Cubs were running like they should before sea foam gas was used. No one including sea foam has given me a good answer on why my Cubs didn't run on sea foam.

The only place I heard that plastic fuel containers are bad is on this site. Been using plastic container for 10 years with no problems.

I have less power when I use hi test (92-93 octane) gas plus I have to pay around $.20 to $.30 more a gallon. The high gas in my area is a lower volume/usage fuel. That could lead to gas going flat quicker than the 87 gas with ethanol in it.

Proper fuel maintance isn't that hard to do and doesn't take that long to do. In the long run you small motors will be better off if you take a few extra minutes to pratice good fuel maintance and storage.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Merk wrote:The only place I heard that plastic fuel containers are bad is on this site. Been using plastic container for 10 years with no problems.
Try and find a steel gas storage container these days!

I have a gas generator which has gas of unknown vintage. It starts every time. It's stored in an enclosed building and out of the sun. Back to my original post, my 682 sat outside, side covers off and the black gas tank baked in the sun and would hardly run, gas changed, fuel cleaner and it now starts every time.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

funny u bring that steel gas can point up.... around these parts if u have to have gas on a jobsite it has to be stored in a steel container. Yes u can still buy them.... reason is they have a special lid that will autovent the gas when it heats up.... the plastic ones dont.... im not sure if them new-fangled plastic cans are legal. ill have to ask my old neighbor. kinda funny thing!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Tractor Supply lists this steel gas can on their web site, but I haven't seen it in the local stores. Some states, NJ, PA Ca, etc prohibit it's sale and you can only get the plastic safety cans.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-ma ... ty-3958668
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

OSHA states steel cans on job sites. Those approved cans are available through Home Depot. Red for gas yellow for diesel. Remember folks, BURN the gas before its $5 bucks a gallon.